Spot propylene up in Europe and Asia, US fails to follow
This was mainly attributed to the production updates in the three regions as planned/unplanned production outages in Europe and Asia paved the way for increases while the restart of Flint Hills’ PDH unit caused supplies to improve in the US.
In Europe, spot propylene prices on FD NWE basis rebounded from a two-month low by the end of July to recently hit nearly one-and-a-half month high on a weekly average. Regional supplies remain tight given low run rates amid hot weather conditions as well as ongoing and upcoming shutdowns. Low water levels in the Rhine River in Germany also posed an obstacle for smooth transportation across the country, yet water levels have started to rise recently.
Spot propylene prices on FOB Korea basis have also been steadily rising since early July to hit a fresh two-and-a-half month high, as weekly average data unveil. Roughly 2.9 million of propylene capacity is slated to be offline between August and November across Asia.
When it comes to the US, however, spot propylene prices on FD USG basis turned downward by late July after posting cumulative increases of around $140/ton during the month of July.
To track the most updated propylene production news, please see PP Production News (For members only)
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Supply constraints spark stronger PE trend than PP in global markets
- ABS, PS uptrend falters in China after H1 2020 ends at multi-month highs
- Stats: China’s total PP imports spike in May; Vietnam and India’s rising shares shine out
- Tight supply drives HDPE, LLDPE gains in Southeast Asia
- European PE markets set for 2nd bullish month on rising costs
- Turkey’s PP and PE markets propelled to a firm start to H2 despite vulnerable conditions
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?
- US PVC offers in Egypt rise steadily but resistance grows in tandem
- PE buyers’ resistance grows in SEA; duty-free origins more competitive than Mid-East