Stats: China’s PE demand grows more than 11% in 2020
HDPE, LLDPE imports break new thresholds
A further breakdown of the data shows that HDPE imports totalled 9,095,846 tons, indicating an increase of more than 12% over 2019. This also was the largest volume since ChemOrbis started tracking imports data in 2001. China’s import LLDPE demand growth was more than 15% in 2020, standing at a record-high of 6,045,373 tons. At the same time, the total volume of 3,390,582 tons of LDPE imports represented a decrease from a record-high total of 3,430,380 reported last year
Better economic data, higher consumption boost imports
The record-breaking growth in China’s PE imports did not come as a surprise to many market players. 2020 brought an increased demand for PE amid a high consumption of packaged foods, sanitary products, and medical applications. On top of this, China’s economy ended last year on a firm footing and became the only major world economy to grow in this pandemic-hit year.
Saudi Arabia occupied the top position as the biggest HDPE exporter to China at 1,989,987 tons in 2020. Iran ranked second in HDPE exports, with a yearly total of 1,340,173 tons. The United Arab Emirates remained as the third largest HDPE exporter to China at 1,184,056 tons.
Iran held onto its top position as China’s main LDPE exporter in 2020 at 704,554 tons. Iran’s share was 33% higher than its closest competitor Saudi Arabia, from which China imported 471,442 tons of LDPE in 2020. Qatar replaced the United States as the third largest LDPE exporter in 2020 with a total of 349,193 tons.
For LLDPE, Saudi Arabia ranked first in total exports to China at 1,283,198 tons in 2020. Singapore occupied the second position with 1,022,746 tons while Thailand remained at the third place with 547,591 tons exported into China.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- PP markets in China, Vietnam hit 3-year lows, readying to test new lows
- African PE, PP markets extend slide into May
- Asian PS, ABS markets at 2½-3-year lows amid Chinese oversupply
- India’s Q1 PVC imports hit record-high; did buyers rush to stock up before expected restrictions?
- LDPE prices move below LLDPE, HDPE on global lethargy
- Slide deepens in Middle Eastern PP, PE markets through May
- Oil prices down for fourth straight week, delicate balance ahead
- European ABS under pressure from aggressive imports, PS holds firm
- Türkiye witnesses plentiful PE offers amid globally weak demand
- India PP, PE markets’ slump extends into third month ahead of monsoon