Stats: China’s total PP, PE imports set a new record in H1 2020
A similar scenario was in place for the country’s PP imports. ChemOrbis data also revealed that China’s total PP imports in the first half of the year climbed 29% on a yearly comparison to reach more than 2.9 million tons.
China’s record-high polymer imports for PP and PE in H1 2020 reflect the recovery mode the country’s economy has been in since the removal of the COVID-19 linked lockdown in April, with businesses gradually resuming their activities.
Monthly volumes in June made the largest contribution to total PP and PE imports within this period.
HDPE holds the high ground
Among all PE grades, China’s cumulative HDPE imports in the January-June period constituted the biggest part of the overall imports, increasing 10% from a year earlier to reach 4.2 million tons.
LLDPE imports were up by nearly 11% on a yearly basis to be reported at more than 2.8 million tons in the H1 period of 2020. LDPE imports, on the other hand, was down by 6.6% over the same period to reach around 1.5 million tons.
Saudi Arabia continues to be top supplier for HDPE, LLDPE
The top supplier remained Saudi Arabia, heading the list of countries for HDPE (943,224 tons) and LLDPE (580,366 tons) during the January-June period.
Iran hangs on throne for LDPE
Iran was the top supplier to China in the first half of 2020, with a total volume of 364,037 tons. Saudi Arabia, meanwhile, continued in the second spot, with a total volume of 208,155 tons.
Yearly gain of PPH imports in H1 2020 higher than PP copolymers
In H1 2020, China’s PPH imports jumped 33% year over year to more than 2.1 million tons. South Korea remained at the top of the homo-PP import suppliers’ list with 409,639 tons, followed by Saudi Arabia (216,788 tons) and the United Arab Emirates (210,448 tons).
China’s PP copolymers imports in the January-June period rose 20% year over year to more than 878,000 tons. Taiwan was the top exporter to China with 212,548 tons, followed by South Korea (183,358 tons).
Top suppliers for PP change in June
In June 2020 alone, India dethroned South Korea and became the top homo-PP supplier of China with 122,143 tons. India’s June homo-PP exports to China also more than tripled from 38,822 tons in May.
As for PP copolymers, South Korea outpaced Taiwan in June 2020 and became the top supplier of China’s imports with 46,415 tons.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Major LDPE markets touch multi-year highs on growing tightness
- A prospect for Q4 through uncharted waters of 2020 amid pandemic
- China's import PP markets maintain uptrend under shadow of oil-driven losses in Dalian futures
- Weaker domestic demand prompts Vietnam to export polymers
- European PP market ceases upward trend in September
- Force majeure declarations rock the boat in Turkish PVC market
- China’s PE uptrend fueled by US force majeures; LDPE soars to more than 1-year high
- Stats: China’s cumulative PP imports in Jan-July 2020 reach record-high
- Sept PP, PE trend begins to take shape in Saudi Arabia
- Sept expectations voiced in Europe; ABS draws rosier picture than PS