Stats: China’s total PP imports spike in May; Vietnam and India’s rising shares shine out
When compared to the same month of 2019, overall PP imports also climbed 59%.
The notable monthly/yearly gains in China’s total polypropylene imports in May came despite weak export sales and slow demand amid the COVID-19 pandemic that has penetrated the world economies since December 2019.
May PP volumes in detail
In product-based breakdown, the country’s PP copolymer imports increased 33% month over month in May to 179,556 tons. Homo-PP imports, meanwhile, posted a sharper increase of 48% from a month earlier to be reported at 437,699 tons.
Ranking among top three homo-PP suppliers changes
In May, South Korea remained at the top of the homo-PP import suppliers’ list with 96,197 tons, followed by Vietnam, India and Singapore.
Distinctively; some countries mostly known among top homo-PP suppliers to China including Saudi Arabia, Taiwan and the United Arab Emirates fell behind Vietnam and India in May.
Vietnam’s homo-PP exports to China more than doubled from 18,879 tons in April to 40,047 tons in May. When compared to the same month of last year, they rose more than fivefold.
May volumes for Indian homo-PP indicated an enormous increase, standing at 38,822 tons. In April, China imported only 2,209 tons of homo-PP from India.
Cumulative PP-copolymer imports in Jan-May hit record-high
China’s cumulative PP-copolymers imports reached around 661,000 tons in the first five months of 2020, increasing nearly 7% on a year over year basis. This also refers to the highest total volume ever, according to ChemOrbis data.
The country’s cumulative homo-PP imports also climbed to more than 1,5 million tons, up by around 13.5% on a year over year basis. The last time total homo-PP imports in the Jan-May period reported above this volume was back in 2014, ChemOrbis data also show.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Turkey’s PP, PE markets open post-Eid period with a cautious tone
- Global oil and petchem revenues hit by challenging market environment
- Tightness shapes expectations for Sept PVC pricing in Asia
- PP uptrend falters in Indonesia amid downstream resistance
- Will European PE market sustain uptrend following higher ethylene?
- COVID-19 resurgence weighs on polymer sentiment in Vietnam
- Stats: Turkey’s H1 polymer imports defy pandemic, hit all-time high
- Stats: China’s total PP, PE imports set a new record in H1 2020
- Lackluster demand outweighs tightness in Asian ABS markets
- Will costs drum up support for a 3rd-month-firming in Europe PET market?