Stats: Turkey’s polymer imports rise to fresh records in Q1
PP imports at highest since record set in Q3 2020
Turkey’s combined imports of PPH and PP copolymer increased by around 1.18% over the previous quarter, coming in at 582,870 tons. It was the highest level since a record set in the third quarter of last year. As compared to the first quarter of 2020, Turkey’s PPH and PP copolymer imports jumped by around 7.2%.
For PPH alone, total imports were at 491,000 tons, up marginally from the previous quarter’s figure of 490,930 tons. However, the yearly comparison showed a larger increase of 6.4%.
HDPE, LDPE imports break records; LLDPE up 18% q-o-q
Imports for all major PE grades combined hit an all-time high during the first quarter. At more than 519,000 tons, the figure indicated an increase of 21.5% over the previous quarter and also an increase of 17.4% over the same period of last year.
Data show that Turkey’s HDPE imports during the first quarter of 2021 were at a record high of 220,930 tons, up by nearly 26% over the previous quarter. On a yearly basis, HDPE imports were higher by more than 31% during the first quarter.
LDPE imports were also at a record high of more than 95,000 tons, with a quarter-on-quarter increase of 16%. As compared a year-earlier period, Turkey’s LDPE imports were higher by more than 26%.
Although LLDPE imports were marginally lower from a record set in the second quarter of 2020, the total volume stood nearly 18% higher from the previous quarter at 170,830 tons. LLDPE imports were also higher by 3% from the first quarter of 2020.
S-PVC imports stand at highest in 2 years
In the first quarter of 2021, Turkey imported about 190,270 tons of S-PVC, which is the highest amount since the first quarter of 2018. It also indicated an increase of nearly 2% over the previous quarter and also an increase of 14.4% over a year-earlier period.
To track Turkey’s imports by country, please click here (For members only)
To track Turkey’s imports by product, please click here (For members only)
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Asian polymer markets unfazed by crude oil rally
- India’s polymer demand slowly heals pandemic-inflicted wounds
- LDPE faces a tougher slog in Asia, Europe still on a tear
- Weakness extends to June in Saudi Arabian PP, PE markets
- European PP signals stabilization after 7 months of hikes
- Turkish plastic recycling market in deadlock–solution awaited on import waste ban
- Asia PVC markets decline to 3-month low as downturn fueled by June announcements
- Limited demand leads to further PP, PE declines in China; LDPE hits 6-month low
- African PP, PE markets soften into June
- European PS, ABS under pressure from upstream markets