Step-back from initial rollover attempts for ABS in Europe
Neither surging spot butadiene prices nor higher spot ACN values supported sellers’ stance. The fact that demand remained weak and supplies are comfortable pushed sellers to lower their offers despite the small drop of styrene.
A distributor in Italy reported, “We had to concede to special discounts in order to conclude deals as demand is quiet and our customers resisted initial rollover attempts. They claimed that they are able to find competitive prices for South Korean origins. It is hard to deplete stocks under these circumstances.”
On the other hand, sellers are hopeful about the second half of the month due to firmer expectations for June. They also assume that buyers’ stocks might be low as they were holding their purchases due to their bearish expectations.
A distributor from Germany reported, “Demand is calm as there is a bank holiday this week while supply is ample. Still, demand may improve in the latter part of May as we expect a change in the direction next month.”
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- PVC downturn gains pace in Asia on Taiwanese major’s larger-than expected drop
- Asian spot propylene regains premium over ethylene for first time since 2013
- Import LDPE, LLDPE prices almost back at par with ethylene in China
- Turkish players voice early PP, PE expectations for November
- Thin buying cushions impact of PVC shutdowns across Europe
- China’s PP market makes a strong start to post-holiday period
- Asian ethylene-naphtha spread narrows to 3-year low
- Local PVC markets plunge in India, Southeast Asia
- PE sustains soft path in October across Africa, Mid-East
- Will propylene hike be reflected on European PP?