Styrene prices lose 25-30% globally since August
Spot styrene prices in Europe fell below the $1000/ton FOB NWE threshold for the first time in two years and hit their lowest levels since October 2016 amid the continued weakness in the market sentiment. In addition to the persistently thin sentiment, lower crude oil futures and the globally decreasing prices contributed to the recent losses.
The weekly average data from ChemOrbis Price Wizard suggest that spot styrene prices on an FOB NWE basis have lost around $420/ton, or nearly 30%, since the beginning of the downtrend in mid-August.
Similarly, the US styrene market extended its three-month downtrend after the US benzene spot prices plummeted to a two-year low, tracking the steep declines in crude oil prices. Another contributing factor for the weakness of the US styrene pricing was muted demand.
Data from ChemOrbis Price Wizard indicate that the weekly average of spot prices on an FOB USG basis has lost more than $390/ton, or 30%, since August and hit its lowest level since October 2016.
In Asia, the weekly average of spot styrene prices recorded further losses, reflecting thin trade activities and hitting its lowest level of the past one and a half year. The bearish trend began in August and resulted in a cumulative decrease of more than $350/ton, or 25%. Weak demand and the growing concerns over the mutual tariffs imposed by China and the US on styrene imports have weighed on the market.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Turkey’s PP and PE markets propelled to a firm start to H2 despite vulnerable conditions
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?
- US PVC offers in Egypt rise steadily but resistance grows in tandem
- PE buyers’ resistance grows in SEA; duty-free origins more competitive than Mid-East
- Polymer demand cools in Turkey: Is price correction ahead for PP, PE and PVC?
- China’s rising PET trend takes a pause, but longer-term outlook remains firm
- Uptrend in China’s import PP market continues but cautious mood returns
- Hikes in Asia July PVC offers baffle some buyers, further rally under discussion
- Optimism is rising on resurgent demand in European polymer markets