Supply concerns ahead for Thailand’s PP, PE markets
The weekly average of PPH raffia prices rose 5% over the week from $1034/ton to $1092/ton FD Thailand, cash basis, according to ChemOrbis Price Index data.
The weekly average of local prices of LDPE film, meanwhile, increased from $1122/ton to $1132/ton while LLDPE and HDPE film edged marginally lower to $1009/ton and 1029/ton, respectively, on similar terms.
Sentiment acknowledges supply allocation issues
A local trader explained, “Market sentiment seemed to acknowledge some concerns over local supply allocation on unplanned and planned shutdowns.”
PP climbed as producer IRPC experienced an unplanned shutdown of one of its PP lines at Map Ta Phut. Due to shutdown, IRPC was only able to give several buyers limited volume allocation of PP film, according to sources close to the company. IRPC’s PP facilities at Map Ta Phut have a production capacity of 775,000 tons/year.
Volumes for PE also being limited for certain grades
Among the other shutdowns are PTT’s scheduled three-week turnaround of its 300,000 tons/year LDPE plant at Map Ta Phut from September 20 and Siam Cement Group’s (SCG) planned shutdown of its Map Ta Phut olefins complex - with a production capacity of 900,000 tons/year of ethylene and 800,000 tons/year of propylene - from November 1 to December 15 along with its LLDPE joint venture with Dow.
According to traders, SCG has informed its regular buyers that they have been stocking up on inventory ahead of the shutdown and will support them first amid the limited volumes.
Diversion of cargoes amid Chinese holidays
Supply concerns, however, could be mitigated in the short term due to import availability amid the lengthy Chinese holidays.
The business lull in Chinese during the week-long national holidays starting from October 1 is expected to see import cargoes diverted to other regions such as Southeast Asia, according to market player.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Premium of HDPE over LLDPE hits 16-month high in Turkey
- Post-holiday hikes carry China homo-PP market to 1-year high
- Asia PVC markets see longest rising streak ever on extreme tightness
- Africa polymers: October offers higher amid reduced availability
- Stable to softer PE trend prevails in Europe amid soft demand, poor netbacks
- Turkey’s PP and PE markets move up, but riddled with uncertainties
- India, SEA PVC markets unlikely to take respite from bullish run for November
- Southeast Asia PET markets move sideways during China’s absence
- Egypt’s import PE market up on tight supply, domestic offers follow suit
- Will European PS, ABS track divergent paths for another month?