Surging ethylene moves above import PE prices in China
Data from ChemOrbis Price Index indicates that spot ethylene prices on CFR China basis are currently carrying a premium of around $110/ton over import LLDPE film, $90/ton over import HDPE film and $30/ton over LDPE film prices on a weekly average basis in China, suggesting that PE is now being traded significantly below its breakeven point for non-integrated producers in Northeast Asia.
A global trader commented, “China’s import PE market increased at a slower pace last week as buyers who believe that prices already climbed too fast in the previous weeks started to show resistance to higher offers. Still, PE prices are likely to remain firm as long as ethylene sustains its current trend.”
A second trader opined, “We suspended our offers to China this week as spot ethylene prices are too high at the moment. Initial PE offers for September from the Middle East may emerge with increases of around $10-20/ton in the coming days.”
Meanwhile, there were a few players who expressed their concerns about the size of the recent ethylene increases, saying, “We think that the upward trend of ethylene may not be healthy as spot prices surged by almost $300/ton in a short period of one month. We are worried that the market may suddenly start to see corrections.”
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- 3-digit hikes in Oct PVC offers reinforce supply-driven bullishness in Asia
- Crude oil caught between demand woes and production disruption
- Tightness drives European PVC market up, prices near pre-pandemic levels
- Major LDPE markets touch multi-year highs on growing tightness
- A prospect for Q4 through uncharted waters of 2020 amid pandemic
- China's import PP markets maintain uptrend under shadow of oil-driven losses in Dalian futures
- Weaker domestic demand prompts Vietnam to export polymers
- European PP market ceases upward trend in September
- Force majeure declarations rock the boat in Turkish PVC market
- China’s PE uptrend fueled by US force majeures; LDPE soars to more than 1-year high