Surging ethylene moves above import PE prices in China
Data from ChemOrbis Price Index indicates that spot ethylene prices on CFR China basis are currently carrying a premium of around $110/ton over import LLDPE film, $90/ton over import HDPE film and $30/ton over LDPE film prices on a weekly average basis in China, suggesting that PE is now being traded significantly below its breakeven point for non-integrated producers in Northeast Asia.
A global trader commented, “China’s import PE market increased at a slower pace last week as buyers who believe that prices already climbed too fast in the previous weeks started to show resistance to higher offers. Still, PE prices are likely to remain firm as long as ethylene sustains its current trend.”
A second trader opined, “We suspended our offers to China this week as spot ethylene prices are too high at the moment. Initial PE offers for September from the Middle East may emerge with increases of around $10-20/ton in the coming days.”
Meanwhile, there were a few players who expressed their concerns about the size of the recent ethylene increases, saying, “We think that the upward trend of ethylene may not be healthy as spot prices surged by almost $300/ton in a short period of one month. We are worried that the market may suddenly start to see corrections.”
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Turkey’s stormy week: Hike attempts emerge after 4 months in PP, PE markets
- PVC markets fail to extend gains to Oct on economic woes, low demand in Asia
- Sentiment cautiously rebounds in Asian PP, PE markets
- Asian monomer markets react after crude oil surge
- September hikes meet resistance for ABS in Europe
- Turkey’s import PP market slumps to 3-year low on supply glut, low demand
- Import PVC demand dampened in Europe, Turkey; will it improve in H2?
- Chinese PET producers attempt for hikes first time since July
- Uptrend in spot styrene prices curtailed in Asia
- Spot LDPE, LLDPE prices hit a decade low in Italy