Taiwanese major’s Sept PVC pricing signals hikes
Expectations are mostly calling for increases on the back of plant shutdowns as well as the ongoing bullishness of the Chinese market, which is reinforced by the recent explosions at two plants in the country. Although players concur that demand in India has been slow given the rainy season and GST implementation, they are referring to this as a factor that may limit the amount of increases rather than preventing them. Plus, they do not exclude the possibility of an improvement in demand in September.
In China, a Shanghai-based trader commented, “The Taiwanese major’s September prices will be announced within the next couple of weeks. The producer has no hurry to make an announcement as prices are already on an uptrend. We think the amount of the increase should be more than $30/ton. It may even reach $50-60/ton although demand in the Indian market remains slow given the monsoon season.”
In India, a Mumbai-based converter opined, “We think the major’s PVC offers will be revealed higher for September. Although the Indian market is slow, we think this will not dampen the major’s efforts to raise their new offers as they may divert more allocation to China.”
An agent of the Taiwanese major noted, “We expect increases of up to $20-30/ton for the major’s September announcement. Despite weak demand in India, supplies are limited given the producer’s ongoing shutdown in Mailiao. Meanwhile, China continues to gain further ground, which also supports higher levels.”
A trader said, “We think the maximum hike request that can pass in India is $20/ton as demand is quite stagnant now.” In Far East Asia, a source from the Taiwanese major said, “We are considering an increase in our September offers in the range of $30-40/ton from last month.”
A source from another Taiwanese producer stated that they will not place any offers until the Taiwanese major’s September prices come out. “We think prices should head north in line with firm China and US markets,” a source from the producer noted.”
A source from a Japanese producer reminded that the Taiwanese major will have maintenance at its VCM plant in September and considered reduced supplies as a supportive factor for the major’s firmer September offers.
You can visit ChemOrbis PVC Production News in order to track capacity changes around the world at a glance and keep on top of new capacity additions.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Will ABS markets in Europe and Asia defy lower styrene costs?
- Supply concerns mounting in Europe on transportation, logistics issues
- Players meet at ChemOrbis Turkey 6th Petrochemicals Conference
- October expectations revealed in Africa’s PP, PE markets
- Nearing holiday takes shine of bullish run in China’s PP, PE and PVC markets
- Are clouds hanging over bullish expectations for European PS market?
- PE producers face lack of ethylene supplies in Southeast Asia, Iran
- Import homo PP raffia trades almost at par with fibre in Turkey
- PVC buyers’ resistance limits Sept hikes, sellers remain bullish in Europe
- China’s PP market set for new turnarounds in September-October period
- US becomes top PVC exporter to Turkey in July, remains second in China
- PS buyers perplexed by dramatic increases across globe
- Taiwanese PVC major set for new hikes despite delayed revival expectations in India
- Sellers take firmer stance in Sept PP, PE offers in Mid-East, Africa
- Local, import PP markets see multi-month highs in Indonesia
- ABS prices surge both in Asia and Europe on heels of styrene
- China’s import PE market yet to regain its premium over ethylene
- Will European PP, PE sellers achieve larger hikes than monomer gains for Sept?
- Surging styrene fuels firming trend in Asia’s import ABS, PS markets
- PET prices in Europe rally to more than two-year high on tightening supplies
- Turkey’s polymer markets set to start Sept on firm footing
- China’s local PET market hits 6-month high
- Will Africa’s PE markets remain soft in September?
- Taiwanese major achieves Sept PVC hikes in China, fails in India
- PP prices in Vietnam hit multi-month highs
- Are hikes around the corner for Sept ethylene, propylene contracts in Europe?
- Surging ethylene moves above import PE prices in China
- Bullish ABS trend cools off in Asia, players’ eyes on costs
- Q2 results widely revealed in oil and petchem industry
- Taiwanese PVC major’s Sept hike exceeds expectations