Taiwanese major’s May offers exceed Asian players’ decrease expectations
Prior to the producer’s announcement, players’ expectations had mostly centered on decreases of around $50-60/ton. The producer’s May offers currently stand at $930/ton CIF India, cash and at $870/ton CFR China/CIF SEA, cash.
An Indian trader reported that the Taiwanese major officially sold out its May quota to India. “The seller rejected our request for additional quantity,” the trader said.
A source from a Taiwanese producer noted, “The Taiwanese major’s price cut for May exceeded our decrease expectation of $60/ton. Plus, the new offers are subject to a $10/ton discount for purchases above 500 tons.”
A Malaysian plastic end product manufacturer noted, “We are surprised by the Taiwanese major’s May offer. We were not planning source any materials this month, but we have changed our mind after the drastic decrease. We will build up stocks which can last until June when the monsoon season starts in India.
A Southeast Asian producer commented, “The Taiwanese major had no other option but to cut its offers significantly as demand from China and India is weak. We think this noticeable amount of drop on prices may help boost the regional demand. Local offers might also be adjusted downward based on the Taiwanese major’s reduction decision.”
An Indian converter stated, “We think the Taiwanese major’s new offer will be accepted and sellers will sell out their materials quickly. We are planning to make some purchases from the Taiwanese major.”
A Malaysian trader reported that they are already offering to the Southeast Asian markets $20/ton lower than the Taiwanese major’s May offer at $850/ton CIF SEA, cash basis.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- COVID-19 resurgence weighs on polymer sentiment in Vietnam
- Stats: Turkey’s H1 polymer imports defy pandemic, hit all-time high
- Stats: China’s total PP, PE imports set a new record in H1 2020
- Lackluster demand outweighs tightness in Asian ABS markets
- Will costs drum up support for a 3rd-month-firming in Europe PET market?
- Import PE markets give softening signals in China, SE Asia
- PVC supplies tight, demand robust across Europe
- China’s local PP, PE markets snap nine-week rally
- Turnarounds keep PP supply tight in SE Asia
- European PP market sees step backs from initial July offers