Thin buying cushions impact of PVC shutdowns across Europe
A seller said, “We were able to procure our customers’ requirement despite planned and unplanned outages at our Central European supplier’s upstream/downstream units.”
A converter from Italy reported to have purchased Central European PVC at stable levels. He added, “We expect to close our deals with rollovers for October despite some suppliers’ faint hike attempts.”
A producer source also admitted that October deals might be closed with mostly rollovers as PVC is not following the firmer trend of energy markets and higher ethylene settlement.
A distributor in Switzerland, who sold his quotas with rollovers, noted that the market is balanced between production outages and weak demand. “However, rising crude and naphtha prices might squeeze sellers’ margins going forward if demand shows no rebound. Players widely believe that PVC might continue to follow a mostly steady path for the remainder of the year,” he commented.
As end product demand is slow in certain sectors, buyers are sticking to their hand-to-mouth purchases even though their stocks are low. A major market participant, meanwhile, commented that some buyers pay attention not to be left with high stocks in case prices soften.
Competitive import offers from the US remained as another factor to watch in the coming days as they might magnify the pressure on part of producers and put a cap on some sellers’ attempt to preserve margins.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Turkey’s stormy week: Hike attempts emerge after 4 months in PP, PE markets
- PVC markets fail to extend gains to Oct on economic woes, low demand in Asia
- Sentiment cautiously rebounds in Asian PP, PE markets
- Asian monomer markets react after crude oil surge
- September hikes meet resistance for ABS in Europe
- Turkey’s import PP market slumps to 3-year low on supply glut, low demand
- Import PVC demand dampened in Europe, Turkey; will it improve in H2?
- Chinese PET producers attempt for hikes first time since July
- Uptrend in spot styrene prices curtailed in Asia
- Spot LDPE, LLDPE prices hit a decade low in Italy