Thin demand, volatile styrene keep SE Asia PS market under pressure
Despite the approaching high season, demand is yet to pick up since buyers are still expecting to see lower price levels, several players concurred.
Discounts obtainable in deals
Asian PS suppliers either kept their offers stable or applied slight decreases this week while a few sellers noted that they were willing to give further discounts of around $20/ton in deals.
A trader based in Indonesia reported that his South Korean supplier rolled over its PS offers from last week, saying, “The supplier’s current offer levels for GPPS and HIPS are subject to discounts. However, buyers are not interested in making any large-scale purchases.”
Limited activity amid expectations of further declines
Buyers operating in the region’s PS markets have been refraining from purchasing beyond their immediate needs for a while, believing that prices still have room for further reductions.
“Buying sentiment is weak. The recent price cuts have failed to boost demand as buyers are sticking to the sidelines in anticipation of additional declines. However, we think that demand should start to improve in August as the high season is approaching,” a Vietnamese seller opined.
Volatile styrene weighs on outlook
Styrene prices in Asia have been following a fluctuating trend since mid February in the midst of divergent factors. This volatility has been keeping the PS outlook blurry, according to players.
Spot prices are slightly lower this week owing to increasing supply levels in China, which have also pushed sellers to lower their prices.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Tight supply drives HDPE, LLDPE gains in Southeast Asia
- European PE markets set for 2nd bullish month on rising costs
- Turkey’s PP and PE markets propelled to a firm start to H2 despite vulnerable conditions
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?
- US PVC offers in Egypt rise steadily but resistance grows in tandem
- PE buyers’ resistance grows in SEA; duty-free origins more competitive than Mid-East
- Polymer demand cools in Turkey: Is price correction ahead for PP, PE and PVC?
- China’s rising PET trend takes a pause, but longer-term outlook remains firm
- Uptrend in China’s import PP market continues but cautious mood returns