Turkey’s 1H polymer imports hit a new high amid demand concerns for 2H
On a product basis, the imports of almost all polymers registered a yearly increase in the January-June period, except for PVC and LDPE film.
HDPE and LLDPE film imports climbed by around 11-12% on a year over year basis in the first six months of the year while LDPE film retreated by 5%.
Imports for homo-PP witnessed an increase of 9% in the first half while PP copolymer imports also climbed by around 6%.
For PS, overall imports including GPPS and HIPS recorded a gain of 2% on a yearly basis in the first six months of 2016.
Meanwhile, imports for PVC retreated by around 10% during the same period in line with market expectations based on the slower export business of Turkish converters over the past years.
You can visit ChemOrbis Import Statistics by product and ChemOrbis Import Statistics by country to view and compare
Turkey’s exact import figures on a yearly and monthly basis in further detail for all polymers. (For members only)
Data also shows that the country’s overall polymer imports in the month of June increased by around 14% compared to the same month of last year to reach almost 400,000 tons. This gain is attributed to the fact that many buyers elected to secure sufficient stocks in May in order to cover their needs during the month of Ramadan. Hence, May purchases resulted in higher figures for June.
Polymer players are now speculating about the second half of the year as many of them are doubtful about the sustainability of the first half’s strong performance. These concerns are arising from an uncertainty regarding demand which is giving weak signals nowadays due to the recent depreciation of the Turkish lira against the US dollar.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Turkey’s PE market on brink of new drops for December
- Signs of optimism in China PP and PE markets, but caution remains
- Egypt’s import PP, PE markets flat but domestic prices turn upwards in Nov
- PVC downturn enters 7th month, prices still far from pre-pandemic levels in Europe
- Aggressive US PE offers make a scene across global markets in Q4 after a hiatus of 2 years
- SEA cracker outages and lack of deep-sea cargoes underpin olefin prices in Asia
- US origin hammers import PVC prices into Asia
- China PE markets stay bearish with import prices below new thresholds
- Oil producers boast record Q3 earnings but chemical margins under pressure
- Aggressive imports, long supplies weigh on Europe’s ABS markets