Turkey’s 2016 polymer imports steady; record highs for PP, PE and ABS
In the homo PP market, Turkey imported more than 1.5 million tons, which was up by 3% on the year and hit a record high. As for copolymers, imports grew only marginally by more than 1% year-over-year.
In the PE market, the overall imports of the three products moved above 1.29 million tons in 2016, implying a yearly increase of around 2% and an all-time-high. When looking by product, LDPE imports registered the largest yearly gain among other polymers as ChemOrbis Import Statistics reveal that more than 280,000 tons of LDPE imports showed a 6% increase on the year. This is marked as a record high as well.
The rise in imports for LLDPE was slight at 1%, indicating an all time high at around 360,000 tons. HDPE imports also posted a gain of more than 1% at more than 640,000 tons, although this was not a record.
Following suit, ABS imports also rose by 3% in 2016 on a yearly basis to more than 110,000 tons and reached a record high.
On the other hand, imports of other polymers witnessed losses in market sizes. Particularly PVC imports contracted by 13% on the year and saw their lowest levels since 2009 at around 630,000 tons.
PS and EPS imports fell as well by 5-6% on the year respectively to around 240,000 tons and 94,000 tons in 2016.
You can track and compare Turkey’s imports by country and by product on a monthly, yearly and cumulative basis.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Sentiment cautiously rebounds in Asian PP, PE markets
- Asian monomer markets react after crude oil surge
- September hikes meet resistance for ABS in Europe
- Turkey’s import PP market slumps to 3-year low on supply glut, low demand
- Import PVC demand dampened in Europe, Turkey; will it improve in H2?
- Chinese PET producers attempt for hikes first time since July
- Uptrend in spot styrene prices curtailed in Asia
- Spot LDPE, LLDPE prices hit a decade low in Italy
- Saudi major globally applies significant drops on PE for Sept
- Malaysia’s local PE market dives to a decade low