Turkey’s 2016 polymer imports steady; record highs for PP, PE and ABS
In the homo PP market, Turkey imported more than 1.5 million tons, which was up by 3% on the year and hit a record high. As for copolymers, imports grew only marginally by more than 1% year-over-year.
In the PE market, the overall imports of the three products moved above 1.29 million tons in 2016, implying a yearly increase of around 2% and an all-time-high. When looking by product, LDPE imports registered the largest yearly gain among other polymers as ChemOrbis Import Statistics reveal that more than 280,000 tons of LDPE imports showed a 6% increase on the year. This is marked as a record high as well.
The rise in imports for LLDPE was slight at 1%, indicating an all time high at around 360,000 tons. HDPE imports also posted a gain of more than 1% at more than 640,000 tons, although this was not a record.
Following suit, ABS imports also rose by 3% in 2016 on a yearly basis to more than 110,000 tons and reached a record high.
On the other hand, imports of other polymers witnessed losses in market sizes. Particularly PVC imports contracted by 13% on the year and saw their lowest levels since 2009 at around 630,000 tons.
PS and EPS imports fell as well by 5-6% on the year respectively to around 240,000 tons and 94,000 tons in 2016.
You can track and compare Turkey’s imports by country and by product on a monthly, yearly and cumulative basis.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Asian styrene prices rebound from almost two-year lows
- Turkey’s PE market on brink of new drops for December
- Signs of optimism in China PP and PE markets, but caution remains
- Egypt’s import PP, PE markets flat but domestic prices turn upwards in Nov
- PVC downturn enters 7th month, prices still far from pre-pandemic levels in Europe
- Aggressive US PE offers make a scene across global markets in Q4 after a hiatus of 2 years
- SEA cracker outages and lack of deep-sea cargoes underpin olefin prices in Asia
- US origin hammers import PVC prices into Asia
- China PE markets stay bearish with import prices below new thresholds
- Oil producers boast record Q3 earnings but chemical margins under pressure