Turkey’s H1 polymer imports hit multi-year lows, PVC and HDPE lowest in almost a decade
Economic woes in the country resulted in mounting cautiousness in purchasing activities while liquidity constraints also keeping replenishment activities in control. Mild activity in certain end markets including construction, packaging and shopping bags pervaded the market and caused buyers to refrain from engaging in quantities beyond their regular needs, moreover.
Imports of PP at 2-year low
Turkey imported 846,000 tons of homo-PP in the first half of 2019, slightly down by around 1% year-on-year. The figure was the lowest since 2017 when the country’s imports totaled slightly below 800,000 tons for the period.
A similar case was seen in PP copolymer imports since volumes stood at 153,000 tons, the lowest figure since 2017. Imports were down by 5.5% from H1 2018, additionally.
PVC imports mark lowest H1 volume in a decade
According to ChemOrbis data, PVC imports were down by 20% year-on-year to 302,000 tons in the first 6 months of the year, the lowest volume in the last 10 years for this period. Turkey had imported 248,000 tons of PVC in H1 2009.
LDPE, HDPE shrink; LLDPE makes exception with historical high imports
Import of LDPE sank to a 3-year low in the first half of 2019 as volumes totaled slightly below 140,000 tons. The figure was down by more than 10% from H1 2018, furthermore.
HDPE imports in H1 pointed to the lowest in 9 years at 280,000 tons for the period. They were down approximately by 17% when compared to the first six months of last year.
Somehow, LLDPE imports in H1 formed an exception as they were marginally up by 1% from H1 2018 to see the highest volume since ChemOrbis started to keep records in 2000. On the contrary, imports of mLLDPE plunged 30% to 23,000 tons in H1 2019 on a yearly basis.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Vietnam’s import PP raffia market hits lowest since late 2016
- Spot styrene prices in Europe find mild support from upcoming turnarounds
- Export PET prices from China signal stabilization after 6 weeks of declines
- SEA PE market remains under pressure from flood of competitive US offers
- PS markets plunge to 3-year low in China, SEA
- Yuan devaluation sends import LLDPE, HDPE back to 10-year low in China
- PET markets hit two-year low in China, SEA
- Naphtha hits lowest of 2 years in Europe, 8 months in Asia; eyes on oil
- Downturn halts in Europe’s PP, PE and PVC markets ahead of holidays
- Turkish PP, PE markets enter Eid holidays on weak note