Turkey’s PP market on par with China, LLDPE and HDPE trade at discount
China’s import PP, PE markets up, chasing local prices
China’s PP and PE markets extended gains for a second straight week owing to the renewed trade truce with the US following the G20 summit that took place in late June. The rising futures market attracted Chinese buyers to the market, while lower domestic stocks added to the upbeat sentiment.
The import polyolefin ranges posted up to $30/ton increases on a weekly basis. A Saudi Arabian major’s July PP and PE offers to China represented slight increases when compared to their late June levels.
Sentiment in Turkey only partially influenced by China
Players are now questioning whether or not the bottom has come for Turkey after 2 months of relentless decreases. Import PP prices have fallen to more-than-two-year low this week, according to the weekly average of ChemOrbis Price Index, while LLDPE and HDPE hit a 10-year-low as of the end of June.
According to some, both PP and PE have given signs of stabilization for the coming term as sellers are renewing confidence based on relatively increased inquiries and the prevailing prices in China.
Import PP, PE in Turkey now lack premium over China except for LDPE
Under balanced market conditions, Turkey is expected to carry a premium over China given its relatively smaller market share and freight differentials. However, the weekly average from ChemOrbis Price Index suggests that import PP in Turkey is now trading on par with the average of China in the midst of opposite directions of two markets.
Moreover, LLDPE and HDPE film are trading at respective discounts of $10/ton and $30/ton to China these days. Import LDPE film prices, meanwhile, still have a healthy premium of around $70/ton, buoyed by limited import availability in Turkey. This fact kept price drops in check for this particular product.
Will theoretical facts help Turkey shift direction?
A bunch of factors including the approaching summer holidays and lower ethylene costs in Europe as well as the ongoing weakness in economy keep buyers cautious.
A manufacturer commented, “Sellers are unwilling to provide the low levels they were previously giving , pointing to the recent gains in China. However, we plan to buy based on our needs for another month since we faced lower end product orders from our European end customers.”
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Africa polymers: October offers higher amid reduced availability
- Stable to softer PE trend prevails in Europe amid soft demand, poor netbacks
- Turkey’s PP and PE markets move up, but riddled with uncertainties
- India, SEA PVC markets unlikely to take respite from bullish run for November
- Southeast Asia PET markets move sideways during China’s absence
- Egypt’s import PE market up on tight supply, domestic offers follow suit
- Will European PS, ABS track divergent paths for another month?
- Turkey PP and PE regain premium over China, LDPE fails to make a sprint
- Strong netbacks and demand trigger exodus of PVC from China to export markets
- China PE market continues to see downward corrections amid impending holiday