Turkey’s PP market regains premium over China, PE still at par
However, the PE market, where supply issues are less problematic and demand is less promising, is still trading at similar levels to China despite the traditional premium it should carry due to freight and volume differentials. According to ChemOrbis Price Index, PE prices have gained $50/ton on average in China and $55/ton in Turkey after having bottomed out respectively in mid-January and early February. Although players continue to expect further increases ahead, Turkey’s PE market has not shown a significant jump yet to come back into balance with China.
In the PP market, ChemOrbis Price Index suggests an increase of $90/ton for China while there is a more remarkable increase of $200/ton in Turkey in the same timeframe. Unlike in PE, it did not take long for PP prices to regain their premium over China. This is mostly because tightness concerns were in place in Turkey throughout February.
“The price gap between Turkey and China is around $120/ton considering the average import prices for dutiable origins. However, taking the $20/ton freight to ship the material back to Saudi Arabia from China into account and adding a $70-80/ton freight to Turkey, Turkey should be theoretically $50-60/ton above China based on netback calculations,” said a buyer. Therefore, an increasing number of buyers feel the recent increases have been inflated. “PP prices in Turkey have gone too much above China as sellers are trying to compensate their previous losses with huge hikes. The jumps may not be sustainable if demand cools off.”
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Import LDPE, LLDPE prices almost back at par with ethylene in China
- Turkish players voice early PP, PE expectations for November
- Thin buying cushions impact of PVC shutdowns across Europe
- China’s PP market makes a strong start to post-holiday period
- Asian ethylene-naphtha spread narrows to 3-year low
- Local PVC markets plunge in India, Southeast Asia
- PE sustains soft path in October across Africa, Mid-East
- Will propylene hike be reflected on European PP?
- US PE sellers continue to target SE Asia as trade war with China escalates
- Spot ethylene hits 14-month low in Asia, Europe despite crude rally