Turkey’s PP market regains premium over China, PE still at par
However, the PE market, where supply issues are less problematic and demand is less promising, is still trading at similar levels to China despite the traditional premium it should carry due to freight and volume differentials. According to ChemOrbis Price Index, PE prices have gained $50/ton on average in China and $55/ton in Turkey after having bottomed out respectively in mid-January and early February. Although players continue to expect further increases ahead, Turkey’s PE market has not shown a significant jump yet to come back into balance with China.
In the PP market, ChemOrbis Price Index suggests an increase of $90/ton for China while there is a more remarkable increase of $200/ton in Turkey in the same timeframe. Unlike in PE, it did not take long for PP prices to regain their premium over China. This is mostly because tightness concerns were in place in Turkey throughout February.
“The price gap between Turkey and China is around $120/ton considering the average import prices for dutiable origins. However, taking the $20/ton freight to ship the material back to Saudi Arabia from China into account and adding a $70-80/ton freight to Turkey, Turkey should be theoretically $50-60/ton above China based on netback calculations,” said a buyer. Therefore, an increasing number of buyers feel the recent increases have been inflated. “PP prices in Turkey have gone too much above China as sellers are trying to compensate their previous losses with huge hikes. The jumps may not be sustainable if demand cools off.”
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Muted demand in Europe paves way for plenty of PP, PE offers in Turkey
- Import PE uptrend persists in China despite bearish winds mounting in local market
- 3-digit hikes in Oct PVC offers reinforce supply-driven bullishness in Asia
- Crude oil caught between demand woes and production disruption
- Tightness drives European PVC market up, prices near pre-pandemic levels
- Major LDPE markets touch multi-year highs on growing tightness
- A prospect for Q4 through uncharted waters of 2020 amid pandemic
- China's import PP markets maintain uptrend under shadow of oil-driven losses in Dalian futures
- Weaker domestic demand prompts Vietnam to export polymers
- European PP market ceases upward trend in September