Turkey’s domestic toy sector included in Industry Strategy Document: PAGEV
“In Turkey’s toy sector, imports are gradually increasing and domestic production has come to a standstill recently. Domestic goods have lost their competitiveness against imported ones. We have pioneered some studies for the protection of the domestic toy sector, considering that plastics toys constitute approximately 20% of imports and 5% of exports in the toy sector. Following our sector meeting with Industry and Technology Minister Fikri Işık, the ministry included the toy sector in their Industry Strategy Document” said the president of PAGEV, Yavuz Koroglu.
Koroğlu also stated that the Ministry will increase controls and tests at customs regarding imported toys, thereby avoiding uncontrolled entrance of imported goods to the country. Domestic manufacturers, meanwhile, will benefit from tax and premium supports and a design office will be launched which will provide research and development services for the creation of new toys.
In the past five years, Turkey’s toy imports have reached $1.6 billion, according to PAGEV. China accounted for 92% of these imports while exports were reported at $121.9 million, which forms only 7.5% of Turkey’s imports in this period. The market value of Turkey’s toys market is around $1 billion. According to data from 2013, the per capita toy consumption of around 19 million children aged between 0-14 years in Turkey was around $20 while this was €250 in Europe and $300 in the US.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Turkey PP, PE markets extending uptrend into December
- Rising energy and feedstock prices prompt further gains in Asia PET markets
- Upward trend gains momentum in China's import PP, PE markets
- Egypt’s import PVC market in short supply; local prices gear up
- December hints at further hikes in Europe’s PS, ABS markets
- Global polymer markets face soaring freights amid pent-up demand
- RCEP to boost Asia-Pacific polymer trade; will global PP, PE trade flows change?
- PVC sellers’ India pricing strategy may differ from other Asian markets
- More US PE offers find way to China, SE Asia; yet allocations still limited
- European PVC market hits 2-year high on tightness