Turkey’s import PE market up in Sept, pressure on LDPE grows
Suppliers had failed to achieve their firmer price goals back in August and had to step back from their initial offers by the middle of the month. This was mainly due to mediocre demand amid the sharp depreciation of Turkish Lira against the American dollar.
Middle Eastern LDPE was notionally up by $20-30/ton to $1000-1020/ton CIF Turkey, subject to 6.5% duty, cash. No real offers being confirmed at the time of publication amid a lack of allocations from regional suppliers for September. LLDPE c4 film and HDPE film prices posted similar gains on the week to be assessed at $900-910/ton for LLDPE c4 film and $920-930/ton for HDPE film. Transactions were also confirmed at these levels.
“Import volumes were scarce to Turkey. Suppliers from the Middle East, Uzbekistan, South Korea, India and preferred to direct their cargos to China where demand was vivid amid the appreciation of CNY/USD and prices provided much higher netbacks. Plus, the storm-hit production in the US halted fresh offers from the country to the export outlets including Turkey,” said a global trader.
The short-term outlook remains on the firmer side so long as China maintains its strength. Turkish buyers returned to the market to restock following higher announcements although cautiousness remained in place amid COVID-19 pandemic.
Netback calculations suggest that prices in Turkey has room to move up further, particularly for LDPE as it trades at a $56/ton discount to China. The weekly average data revealed that LLDPE is trading on par with China, while HDPE film only has a premium of $15/ton.
On the other side of the coin, whether or not the recent losses in energy complex will keep increases in check in China or weigh on upstream ethylene costs in Asia remains as a question mark for now.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Turkey’s PS, EPS markets retain uptrend on low availability
- China’s PP, PE and PVC markets continue to offer poor netbacks despite better sentiment
- LDPE run-up enters its third month in China as tightness persists
- African PP, PE markets extend gains into Sept on tightness
- European PS follows SM lower in Sept, ABS flat on tightness
- Turkey PP, PE markets propelled higher by shipping bottlenecks in Sept
- Are record-high PVC prices the new normal amid enduring pandemic?
- European PVC up for 16th month in Sept, prices touch new highs
- Egypt’s PP, PE markets rise on tightness in September
- Logistics snarls propel import PP, PE offers higher in Europe