Turkey’s local ABS market fails to keep up with rising import prices
In early December, the bullish trend in the import market gained speed amidst three digit hikes owing to steep increases in the spot butadiene market in Asia. Tight butadiene availability in the region was blamed as the reason for the spike with prices surging nearly $400/ton on FOB Korea basis throughout December. Spot styrene prices lent support to ABS sellers too for the most part although they displayed a softening trend recently.
According to ChemOrbis Price Wizard, import ABS natural injection prices hit the highest levels since July 2015 on a weekly average price. Based on the data, prices posted a cumulative increase of around $165/ton in the last two months in tandem with soaring price levels in China.
Source: ChemOrbis Price Wizard
However, the increases in the locally-held ABS market lagged behind the bullishness in imports as local prices gained around $25/ton on average this month versus hike announcements between $150-200/ton from Korean and Taiwanese ABS producers.
“We concede to discounts in order to boost our sales since overall ABS demand significantly slowed down during the last weeks of the year which caused supply to loosen recently,” said a distributor.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Stats: China’s monthly PE imports poised to shrink below 1 million tons
- December PP, PE offers emerge lower in China, SE Asia
- Turkey's recycled market hit hardest by lira's freefall
- Will Europe’s PE market manage to defy pressure in December?
- Turkey's polymer markets deadlocked as lira’s freefall shatters all records
- Homo-PP downturn in full swing in China
- Bearish pressure mounts on SE Asian PE markets
- Oil faces demand pressure from renewed Covid-19 fears
- Europe PET market hovers around a decade-high, Asia stumbles
- Turkey's import PE market set to reverse course in December