Turkey’s local ABS market fails to keep up with rising import prices
In early December, the bullish trend in the import market gained speed amidst three digit hikes owing to steep increases in the spot butadiene market in Asia. Tight butadiene availability in the region was blamed as the reason for the spike with prices surging nearly $400/ton on FOB Korea basis throughout December. Spot styrene prices lent support to ABS sellers too for the most part although they displayed a softening trend recently.
According to ChemOrbis Price Wizard, import ABS natural injection prices hit the highest levels since July 2015 on a weekly average price. Based on the data, prices posted a cumulative increase of around $165/ton in the last two months in tandem with soaring price levels in China.
Source: ChemOrbis Price Wizard
However, the increases in the locally-held ABS market lagged behind the bullishness in imports as local prices gained around $25/ton on average this month versus hike announcements between $150-200/ton from Korean and Taiwanese ABS producers.
“We concede to discounts in order to boost our sales since overall ABS demand significantly slowed down during the last weeks of the year which caused supply to loosen recently,” said a distributor.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Asian PVC prices cautiously rebound from more than 2-year lows
- Freight rates near pre-Covid levels as pace of normalization accelerates
- Bleak outlook for Q1 keeps European PP, PE buyers sidelined
- PLAST EURASIA 2022: Eyes on Russian and US supplies with demand woes in focus
- December PE offers to SE Asia imply further drops, yet to respond to China
- Has the bear market for Asian PVC almost run its course?
- Demand outlook for crude oil dims amid China worries
- Asian styrene prices rebound from almost two-year lows
- Turkey’s PE market on brink of new drops for December
- Signs of optimism in China PP and PE markets, but caution remains