Turkey’s overall polymer imports drop in June
In June, homo-PP imports were down by almost 14% to 120,249 tons compared with May while they were also down by 8% from the same month of 2016. Saudi Arabia was the top supplier of homo-PP in June with 33,738 tons, followed by Egypt (21,792 tons), South Korea (14,187 tons), Israel (11,174 tons) and India (8,976 tons).
For PP copolymer, Turkey’s June imports were down by 3% on the month at 21,271 tons while they were down by 11% compared with the same month of 2016. South Korea remained the top PP copolymer supplier to Turkey with 7,178 tons in June.
Imports for LLDPE, meanwhile, increased by 6% on the month and 22% year-over-year to 36,182 tons in June. Saudi Arabia was the top supplier of LLDPE for another month with 12,497 tons.
Imports for LDPE plummeted by around 17% month over month to 23,226 tons in June whereas they increased by 15% compared with the same month of 2016. The top three exporters were Azerbaijan (3,833 tons), Spain (3,541 tons) and Germany (2,264 tons).
HDPE imports edged down by 3% in June on a monthly basis to 49,279 tons while they were down by 7.5% from a year earlier. Iran (10,829 tons) took over Saudi Arabia’s (7,802 tons) place to be the top HDPE exporter to Turkey, while Uzbekistan ranked as the third (5,176 tons).
Turkey’s PVC imports decreased by 8% from a month earlier to 47,535 tons in June. On a yearly basis, however, PVC imports posted a larger drop of about 27%. Mexico displaced France becoming the top of the June PVC import list with 9,181 tons, followed by France (8,695 tons) and South Korea (6,343 tons).
Looking at styrenics, Turkey imported 22,163 tons of PS in June, down by about 11% on the month and 0.2% on the year. Belgium remained as the top supplier with 7,072 tons of exports. ABS imports decreased by 18% month over month to 9,734 tons in June, but they were up by 10.8% on a yearly basis. South Korea remained as the top supplier for another month as it has been the case since January with 6,487 tons.
Meanwhile, imports for PET bottle slipped by around 3% month over month to 27,992 tons in June. However, they spiked 42% on a yearly basis.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Turkey’s PP, PE markets open post-Eid period with a cautious tone
- Global oil and petchem revenues hit by challenging market environment
- Tightness shapes expectations for Sept PVC pricing in Asia
- PP uptrend falters in Indonesia amid downstream resistance
- Will European PE market sustain uptrend following higher ethylene?
- COVID-19 resurgence weighs on polymer sentiment in Vietnam
- Stats: Turkey’s H1 polymer imports defy pandemic, hit all-time high
- Stats: China’s total PP, PE imports set a new record in H1 2020
- Lackluster demand outweighs tightness in Asian ABS markets
- Will costs drum up support for a 3rd-month-firming in Europe PET market?