Turkey’s overall polymer imports rise in July
In July, homo-PP imports were up by 7% to 129,860 tons compared to June while they were also 27% higher from the same month of 2016. Saudi Arabia was the top supplier of homo-PP in July with 43,761 tons, followed by Egypt (17,784 tons), South Korea (15,446 tons), India (9,462 tons) and Israel (8,667 tons).
For PP copolymer, Turkey’s July imports surged significantly by 32% on the month at 31,396 tons while they also increased 30% compared with the same month of 2016. South Korea remained the top PP copolymer supplier to Turkey with 9,987 tons in July.
Imports for LLDPE, meanwhile, increased by 23% on the month and 48% year-over-year to 47,253 tons in July. Saudi Arabia was the top supplier of LLDPE for another month with 16,534 tons, followed by Iran (10,949 tons) and Singapore (5,181 tons).
Imports for LDPE were down for the second month in a row by 6% month over month to 21,833 tons in July. Imports were also down slightly by 1.1% compared to the same month of 2016. The top three exporters were Azerbaijan (4,124 tons), Belgium (2,495 tons) and Germany (2,092 tons).
HDPE imports were up by 5% in July on a monthly basis to 52,102 tons while they were up more visibly by 22% from a year earlier. Iran remained as the top HDPE exporter to Turkey with 11,543 tons, followed by Saudi Arabia (10,043 tons) and Uzbekistan (6,612 tons).
Turkey’s PVC imports increased by 9% from a month earlier to 52,380 tons in July. On a yearly basis, however, PVC imports were down 4%. The US displaced Mexico, becoming the top supplier of July in PVC imports with 13,156 tons, followed by Mexico (7,729 tons) and France (7,728 tons).
Regarding styrenics, Turkey imported 21,129 tons of PS in July, down by 4.8% on the month whereas the figure was up 19% on the year. Belgium remained as the top supplier with 5,034 tons of exports. ABS imports surged 17% month over month to 11,766 tons in July, which also indicated a 29% increase on a yearly basis. South Korea remained as the top supplier for the seventh month in a row with 6,538 tons.
Meanwhile, Turkey’s July imports for PET bottle plunged 28% month over month to 21,811 tons in June. However, they spiked 62% on a yearly basis.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Can LDPE uptrend hold in Asia?
- Europe PVC prices lag behind global markets, upward pressure mounts
- PS, ABS markets take respite from rising streak in China, SEA
- Muted demand in Europe paves way for plenty of PP, PE offers in Turkey
- Import PE uptrend persists in China despite bearish winds mounting in local market
- 3-digit hikes in Oct PVC offers reinforce supply-driven bullishness in Asia
- Crude oil caught between demand woes and production disruption
- Tightness drives European PVC market up, prices near pre-pandemic levels
- Major LDPE markets touch multi-year highs on growing tightness
- A prospect for Q4 through uncharted waters of 2020 amid pandemic