Turkey’s polymer imports decline 18.5% in May
The top polymer exporters to Turkey in May were Saudi Arabia with 75,955 tons, followed by Iran (40,824 tons), South Korea (35,895 tons), Egypt (19,222 tons) and Belgium (16,824 tons).
In May, homo-PP imports declined around 19% to 125,429 tons when compared to April while they edged lower by 1.4% from the same month of 2014. Saudi Arabia was the top supplier to Turkey with 35,343 tons, followed by Iran with 19,121 tons and Egypt with 14,856 tons. For PP copolymer, however, Turkey’s May imports rose 21.2% to 29,230 tons from the previous month. Saudi Arabia was the top PP copolymer exporter to Turkey with 9,380 tons.
Imports for LLDPE dropped 12.4% from the previous month to 27,446 tons while they declined around 8.3% on a yearly basis. Saudi Arabia was the top supplier of LLDPE for another month with 12,884 tons.
Meanwhile, for other PE products, imports for HDPE fell on the month while LDPE imports rose in May. LDPE imports were up approximately 20% month over month to 26.561 tons. The top three exporters were Qatar (3,774 tons), Azerbaijan (3,665 tons) and Iran (2,867 tons). May HDPE imports, however, fell 25.1% on a monthly basis to reach 57,377 tons. The top three exporters to Turkey were Saudi Arabia (14,031 tons), Iran (13,225 tons) and South Korea (10,689 tons).
Turkey imported 39,335 tons of PVC in May, down 38.2% from a month earlier. On a yearly basis PVC imports also slumped 37.2% in May. France stood at the top of the May PVC import list with 7,824 tons, followed by the USA (5,272 tons) and Mexico (4,518 tons).
Turkey’s May PS imports were down 24.4% on the month to 20,443 tons while imports also decreased 26.5% when compared to the same month of 2014. Belgium was the top supplier with 4,771 tons. Meanwhile, ABS imports edged lower by 2.4% month over month to 10,934 tons in May. South Korea remained the top supplier with 6,743 tons.
Meanwhile, imports for PET bottle posted a slight decrease of 1% month over month to 15,741 tons in May from April’s 15,915 tons, however they rose by 38% when compared to the same month of 2014. Europe Free Zone was the top supplier with 5,954 tons, followed by China with 5,852 tons.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Firming PP trend falters in China’s local market
- European players question if bottom is near for PE
- Asian ABS players turn cautious after recent rally
- July PVC dealt lower in Europe, what lies ahead for August?
- China’s Jan-May total polymer imports hit a record of nearly two decades
- India’s local PVC market soars to 6-month high after customs hike
- China’s export PET market faces correction after rising 10% from two-year-low
- Spot propylene moves in opposite directions in Asia and Europe
- European PS hits year-to-date low on July drops
- Turkey’s PP market on par with China, LLDPE and HDPE trade at discount