Turkey’s polymer imports down 11.5% on month in May
The top polymer exporters to Turkey in May were Saudi Arabia with 71,969 tons, followed by South Korea (39,444 tons), Iran (31,036 tons), Egypt (21,624 tons) and Belgium (20,312 tons).
In May, homo-PP imports were down about 15.7% to around 119,654 tons compared with the previous month while imports also slid around 4.6% from the same month of 2015. Saudi Arabia was the top supplier of homo-PP in May with 40,766 tons, followed by Egypt (19,448 tons) and Iran (14,048 tons).
For PP copolymer, Turkey’s May imports rose about 6.2% on the month to 26,717 tons from 25,159 in April while it was down around 8.6% compared with the same month of 2015. South Korea was the top PP copolymer supplier to Turkey with 6,940 tons in May.
Imports for LLDPE decreased around 21.2% on the month to 26,664 tons in May while they moved down by around 2.5% on a yearly basis. Saudi Arabia was the top supplier of LLDPE for another month with 7,353 tons.
Imports for HDPE and LDPE posted declines on a monthly basis in May. LDPE imports fell about 11.2% month over month to 23,610 tons while declining around 11.1% compared with the same month of 2015. The tops three exporters were Saudi Arabia (5,992 tons), Azerbaijan (4,443 tons) and Qatar (2,274 tons). May HDPE imports decreased about 20.8% on a monthly basis to 60,793 tons while imports for HDPE declined around 6% from a year earlier. The top three exporters were South Korea (11,845 tons), Saudi Arabia (9,543 tons) and Uzbekistan (9,177 tons).
Turkey’s PVC imports climbed around 9.2% from a month earlier to reach 48,228 tons in May. On a yearly basis, meanwhile, PVC imports also rose about 22.6%. France remained at the top of the May PVC import list with 9,911 tons, followed by Mexico (8,859 tons) and the USA (7,454 tons).
Turkey imported 20,878 tons of PS in May, down about 23% on the month while up 2.1% on the year. Belgium remained the top supplier with 6,244 tons. ABS imports, meanwhile, fell approximately 20% month over month to 8,660 tons in May while imports were down 20.8% on a yearly basis from 10,934 tons in May 2015. South Korea remained the top supplier with 5,377 tons.
Meanwhile, imports for PET bottle fell around 13.3% month over month to 11,090 tons in May while imports moved south by 29.5% from the 15,741 tons reported in the same month of 2015.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Turkey’s PE market on brink of new drops for December
- Signs of optimism in China PP and PE markets, but caution remains
- Egypt’s import PP, PE markets flat but domestic prices turn upwards in Nov
- PVC downturn enters 7th month, prices still far from pre-pandemic levels in Europe
- Aggressive US PE offers make a scene across global markets in Q4 after a hiatus of 2 years
- SEA cracker outages and lack of deep-sea cargoes underpin olefin prices in Asia
- US origin hammers import PVC prices into Asia
- China PE markets stay bearish with import prices below new thresholds
- Oil producers boast record Q3 earnings but chemical margins under pressure
- Aggressive imports, long supplies weigh on Europe’s ABS markets