Turkey’s polymer imports increase in May
The top polymer exporters to Turkey in May were Saudi Arabia with 83,921 tons, followed by South Korea (42,434 tons), Iran (24,669), Egypt (23,410 tons) and Belgium (19,460 tons).
In May, homo-PP imports were unchanged at 139,377 tons compared with the previous month while they increased by about 16% from the same month of 2016. Saudi Arabia was the top supplier of homo-PP in May with 53,185 tons, followed by Egypt (13,944 tons), South Korea (13,662 tons) and Israel (10,762 tons).
For PP copolymer, Turkey’s May imports were down by 8% on the month at 21,994 tons while they were further down by 19% compared with the same month of 2016. South Korea was the top PP copolymer supplier to Turkey with 5,768 tons in May.
Imports for LLDPE increased by 6% on the month to 33,993 tons in May while they also moved up by 26% on a yearly basis. Saudi Arabia was the top supplier of LLDPE for another month with 11,038 tons.
Imports for LDPE rose by around 33% month over month to 28,173 tons in May while they also increased by around 17% compared with the same month of 2016. The top three exporters were Azerbaijan (4,829 tons), Saudi Arabia (3,084 tons) and Spain (2,539 tons). May HDPE imports increased by 2% on a monthly basis to 50,925 tons while they were down by 16% from a year earlier. The top three exporters were Saudi Arabia (12,230 tons), Iran (9,110 tons), and Uzbekistan (5,889 tons).
Turkey’s PVC imports were down by 4% from a month earlier to 51,589 tons in May. On a yearly basis, however, PVC imports moved up by about 8%. France was at the top of the May PVC import list with 11,652 tons, followed by the USA (9,402 tons) and Mexico (5,781 tons).
Turkey imported 24,720 tons of PS in May, up by about 32% on the month and by 19% on the year. Belgium remained as the top supplier with 7,627 tons of exports. ABS imports decreased by 8% month over month to 11,487 tons in May while they were up by 22% on a yearly basis. South Korea remained as the top supplier with 7,074 tons.
Meanwhile, imports for PET bottle increased by around 81% month over month to 28,842 tons in May while they posted a significant increase by 164% on a yearly basis.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- PET bottle fails to salve pandemic wounds; challenges mount as autumn begins
- Can LDPE uptrend hold in Asia?
- Europe PVC prices lag behind global markets, upward pressure mounts
- PS, ABS markets take respite from rising streak in China, SEA
- Muted demand in Europe paves way for plenty of PP, PE offers in Turkey
- Import PE uptrend persists in China despite bearish winds mounting in local market
- 3-digit hikes in Oct PVC offers reinforce supply-driven bullishness in Asia
- Crude oil caught between demand woes and production disruption
- Tightness drives European PVC market up, prices near pre-pandemic levels
- Major LDPE markets touch multi-year highs on growing tightness