Turkey’s polymer imports indicate lowest Q1 volume since 2015
On the other hand, the cumulative Q1 imports rose by 17% from the previous quarter. That is to say, although Q1 imports showed the worst performance of the last four years, they were clearly better than the last quarter of 2018.
Economic issues curtailed import volumes
PVC, LDPE, HDPE and PP copolymer imports recorded the steepest decreases on a yearly basis among all polymers.
The volatile TRY/USD parity coupled with payment challenges and disappointing domestic demand for real-estates, white goods , shopping bags and automotive kept purchasing amounts hand to mouth on the manufacturers’ side .
Imports of homo-PP down almost 8% y-o-y
Turkey imported 405,000 tons of homo-PP in the first quarter, down by around 8% on the year. This was the lowest volume since 2017. Yet, homo-PP imports climbed by 18% when compared to Q4 2018.
Imports of PP copolymer declined by 18% to below 70,000 tons in the first quarter of 2019 compared with the same period of last year. However, they rose by 21% quarter on quarter.
PVC showed weakest Q1 performance since 2006
Turkey’s PVC imports totaled 149,000 tons in January-March, suggesting a slump of 28% year-on-year. This pointed to the lowest Q1 figure since 2006 when imports stood at 134,000 tons for the period. PVC imports in the first three months were up by 25% from the previous quarter, on the other hand.
LDPE imports plummeted by 23% y-o-y
Q1 imports of LDPE stood at 68,000 tons, down from 88,000 tons in the same period of 2018, although they were up by around 8% from the last quarter of 2018.
Imports of LLDPE indicated a smaller drop of 5% in Q1 of 2019 at 130,000 tons year-on-year. Imports were also up by 13% from the last three months of 2018.
HDPE marked the lowest Q1 imports since 2010
HDPE imports hit their lowest Q1 volume in 9 years and stood at 144,000 tons, while they slumped by 19% from January-March 2018. When compared to the previous quarter, imports jumped by 28.5% for the product, nevertheless.
PS imports down marginally in Q1 on year
In the first quarter of 2019, total PS imports stood at almost 37,000 tons, while they edged down only 3% from the same period of last year. They rose by 33% from Q4 2018, in the meantime.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Asian PET markets in limbo between high costs and tepid demand
- India PVC sentiment improves further despite lower Aug offers from Taiwan
- Asian ethylene, propylene prices remain bullish but caution lingers
- African PP, PE markets offer mixed bag for July
- European PVC suppliers seek hikes for 14th straight month in July
- Turkey’s PP markets rise around 10% in a month
- India PVC sees first hike attempts after weeks of declines
- Import PE increases lose momentum in China, except for LDPE
- Downtrend continues into July in Mid-Eastern PP, PE markets
- Pace of PS drops in Asia slackens; ABS downtrend in full swing