Turkey’s polymer imports up in Q1; LDPE and PVC take the lead
LDPE imports posted a visible jump in Q1 to be reported at 79,000 tons, up by 34% from Q1 2016. Azerbaijan was the major supplier of import LDPE in Q1, outpacing Saudi Arabia. LLDPE imports moved up by around 10% to 102,000 tons cumulatively with Saudi Arabia, Iran and South Korea maintaining their position as the largest suppliers.
PVC imports were up by 11% to 191.000 tons in the same timeframe. Although there was a 35% decrease in March when compared to February, this fall followed the imports of 71,000 and 73,000 tons of PVC respectively in January and February.
France remained as the biggest PVC supplier of Turkey in Q1 while the US, which lost a considerable market share in 2016 and was listed as the third after being the major import supplier of Turkey for more than 5 years, moved back up to the 2nd place in the list of top suppliers in Q1 with 27,000 tons. There was a notable jump in February in imports from the US in line with the arrival of cargoes secured largely in December.
PVC imports from Russia, meanwhile, displayed a significant rise in Q1, which pulled the country to the third place in the list of top suppliers, leaving many regular origins including Spain, Norway and Poland behind. More than 17,000 tons of PVC was imported from Russia in the first three months, which almost quadrupled the total volume imported in 2016.
PET imports were also up in line with the rapidly rising sales of a local producer from a free zone.
To track Turkey’s imports by country, please
click here (For members only)
To track Turkey’s imports by product, please click here (For members only)
On the other hand, Turkey imported 399,000 tons of homo PP during Q1, showing a slight drop of around 2% from the same quarter of 2016. Imports of PP copolymer also lost 5% to be reported at 73,000 tons. HDPE imports were down by 8% to 167,000 tons for the first three months, according to ChemOrbis Import Statistics.
As for styrenics, imports were down all for PS, ABS and EPS during the first three months of the year. The data pointed to a drop of 16% for PS, 14% for ABS and 29% for EPS with respect to 2016. Turkey’s PS imports from Iran almost tripled in the first quarter of 2017, in the meantime.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Styrene prices sink to multi-month lows in Asia and Europe
- European PET posts double-digit decreases for October
- PVC downturn gains pace in Asia on Taiwanese major’s larger-than expected drop
- Asian spot propylene regains premium over ethylene for first time since 2013
- Import LDPE, LLDPE prices almost back at par with ethylene in China
- Turkish players voice early PP, PE expectations for November
- Thin buying cushions impact of PVC shutdowns across Europe
- China’s PP market makes a strong start to post-holiday period
- Asian ethylene-naphtha spread narrows to 3-year low
- Local PVC markets plunge in India, Southeast Asia