Turkey updates rules and procedures for charging plastic bags
As per the amendment, all plastic bags that are subject to the current charge will be sold for TRY0,25 inc. VAT, regardless of their size and content. The new amendment will take effect on 1 May 2019.
Meanwhile, exemptions will be granted for plastic bags distributed in duty-free shops.
The recent amendment has also extended the scope of the regulation to include several wholesale or retail businesses, including the grocery stores, canteens, patisseries, restaurants, cafes, as well as glassware and hardware stores.
According to an announcement by the Ministry, the number of single-use plastic bags used by shoppers has plunged by 80% within three months since its introduction on January 1.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Europe’s PS, ABS markets come off peaks on plunging costs
- Asian polymer markets unfazed by crude oil rally
- India’s polymer demand slowly heals pandemic-inflicted wounds
- LDPE faces a tougher slog in Asia, Europe still on a tear
- Weakness extends to June in Saudi Arabian PP, PE markets
- European PP signals stabilization after 7 months of hikes
- Turkish plastic recycling market in deadlock–solution awaited on import waste ban
- Asia PVC markets decline to 3-month low as downturn fueled by June announcements
- Limited demand leads to further PP, PE declines in China; LDPE hits 6-month low
- African PP, PE markets soften into June