Turkey updates rules and procedures for charging plastic bags
As per the amendment, all plastic bags that are subject to the current charge will be sold for TRY0,25 inc. VAT, regardless of their size and content. The new amendment will take effect on 1 May 2019.
Meanwhile, exemptions will be granted for plastic bags distributed in duty-free shops.
The recent amendment has also extended the scope of the regulation to include several wholesale or retail businesses, including the grocery stores, canteens, patisseries, restaurants, cafes, as well as glassware and hardware stores.
According to an announcement by the Ministry, the number of single-use plastic bags used by shoppers has plunged by 80% within three months since its introduction on January 1.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Turkey's import PE market set to reverse course in December
- Sentiment in China PP, PE markets turns bearish again
- Taiwanese major’s Dec PVC price cuts deeper than expected
- Egypt’s PP, PE prices see corrections as buyers resist firm offers
- Nov hikes send Europe’s PE markets to multi-month highs
- Turkey’s local PP, PE and PVC markets yield to subdued demand
- China's PP, PE prices mostly stabilize after Dalian market turbulence
- Cost support, improving demand drive Asia PET markets slightly higher
- North and West African PE, PP markets surge in November
- Will initial November hikes for PP prove workable in Europe?