Turkish PET producers aim for price increases
“We concluded some deals below our list prices but they still indicated hikes over our previous December levels. Bullish costs overshadowed the impact of the volatile currency, the year end and the low season. Buyers are not able to find any prices below $1030-1050/ton on deferred payment basis since the PlastEurasia Fair last week,” a source from a producer commented.
A source from another producer noted, “Costs did not only increase for PX, PTA and MEG but also for isophthalic acid (IPA). Prices for IPA posted a large increase recently and even if it does not account for a major amount in PET production, it still means a cost increase of around $10-15/ton per ton.”
According to ChemOrbis Price Wizard, spot PX prices on FOB Korea basis reached their highest levels since late July, 2015 on a weekly average basis.
Source: ChemOrbis Price Wizard
Meanwhile, a PET bottle manufacturer complained, “We are trying to cope with rising raw material costs as well as volatile USD/TL parity. These prices might be inflated to some extent and they are driven by costs, not by spectacular demand. We are skeptical about their sustainability for next month but for the short term we may see additional hikes of $20-30/ton.”
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Import PE prices fall to lowest in more than a decade across Asia
- Tightness pushes Asian PVC markets to 3-month high
- China’s PE market continues bearish run on sluggish demand
- PP and PE markets turn softer in Egypt, Mid-East
- European PET extends bearish trend into 3rd consecutive month
- European PS, ABS markets down after 4 months
- Thai PP, PE markets subdued by slowing economy, competitive imports
- Vietnam’s PE market extends losses into June on frail demand
- Asian spot naphtha prices pull back from multi-month highs
- China gears up for new PP start-ups in H2 2019