Turkish PET producers aim for price increases
“We concluded some deals below our list prices but they still indicated hikes over our previous December levels. Bullish costs overshadowed the impact of the volatile currency, the year end and the low season. Buyers are not able to find any prices below $1030-1050/ton on deferred payment basis since the PlastEurasia Fair last week,” a source from a producer commented.
A source from another producer noted, “Costs did not only increase for PX, PTA and MEG but also for isophthalic acid (IPA). Prices for IPA posted a large increase recently and even if it does not account for a major amount in PET production, it still means a cost increase of around $10-15/ton per ton.”
According to ChemOrbis Price Wizard, spot PX prices on FOB Korea basis reached their highest levels since late July, 2015 on a weekly average basis.
Source: ChemOrbis Price Wizard
Meanwhile, a PET bottle manufacturer complained, “We are trying to cope with rising raw material costs as well as volatile USD/TL parity. These prices might be inflated to some extent and they are driven by costs, not by spectacular demand. We are skeptical about their sustainability for next month but for the short term we may see additional hikes of $20-30/ton.”
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- European PE markets set for 2nd bullish month on rising costs
- Turkey’s PP and PE markets propelled to a firm start to H2 despite vulnerable conditions
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?
- US PVC offers in Egypt rise steadily but resistance grows in tandem
- PE buyers’ resistance grows in SEA; duty-free origins more competitive than Mid-East
- Polymer demand cools in Turkey: Is price correction ahead for PP, PE and PVC?
- China’s rising PET trend takes a pause, but longer-term outlook remains firm
- Uptrend in China’s import PP market continues but cautious mood returns
- Hikes in Asia July PVC offers baffle some buyers, further rally under discussion