US Fed hints at rate hike in December
The benchmark rate, currently near zero, hasn’t been raised in nearly a decade. Yesterday’s decision to leave the rate unchanged was not surprising as job gains in the US have weakened in the last two months and 3Q economic growth is estimated to be under 2%.
The statement by the Fed saying, "In determining whether it will be appropriate to raise the target rate at its next meeting," the Fed will assess progress toward its goals of maximum employment and 2% annual inflation. This is the first reference to bumping up rates at a specific meeting. Fed policymakers will meet Dec. 15-16.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- European players question if bottom is near for PE
- Asian ABS players turn cautious after recent rally
- July PVC dealt lower in Europe, what lies ahead for August?
- China’s Jan-May total polymer imports hit a record of nearly two decades
- India’s local PVC market soars to 6-month high after customs hike
- China’s export PET market faces correction after rising 10% from two-year-low
- Spot propylene moves in opposite directions in Asia and Europe
- European PS hits year-to-date low on July drops
- Turkey’s PP market on par with China, LLDPE and HDPE trade at discount
- Bearish trend persists in July for PP, PE in Mid-East, Africa