US HDPE imports near record-high in China, plunge in Turkey on negative netbacks
However, export HDPE volumes from the US to Turkey plunged to in the same timeframe as the country turned to be a less attractive outlet amidst poor netbacks. Turkey’s HDPE imports from the US suggested a sharp drop of 80% between January and September year over year. The monthly import volume gradually declined starting from March to eventually sink to just 77 tons in September.
Turkish players would traditionally expect to receive attractive American HDPE offers towards the year-end, assuming that producers would deplete their stocks heading to the new year. However, this has not been the case since the last two years as Turkey does not promise healthy profits for American suppliers. This is because, Turkey’s HDPE market has been lacking the premium it should normally carry over China for the most part of the recent couple of years, as can be seen from the graph below prepared by ChemOrbis Price Wizard.
Let alone the premium, Turkey’s import HDPE film market has mostly traded at a discount compared China this year, except for a couple of short periods in January and mid-March. The gap between Turkey and China has reached the largest level since March 2013 to stand at around $180/ton this week.
HDPE manufacturers in Turkey confirmed the lack of American offers in the market despite the new capacity additions from US PE producers this year. ExxonMobil (1.3 million t/y), Dow (400,000 t/y) and Chevron (500,000 t/y) brought new plants on-stream during 2017.
A buyer, meanwhile, noted, “We may hear a few prices for US cargoes during the Plast Eurasia Istanbul that will take place on December 6-9, 2017.” Most buyers, however, remarked, “US producers probably prefer to sell their export cargos to China, where they can obtain much better netbacks than Turkey. We may not see competitive offers from the US next month either.”
This week, players in China continue to report a firmer trend for import HDPE, unlike LDPE and LLDPE, as this product draws a better picture mainly due to tight supplies. As for American HDPE prices, players stated, “Some Chinese traders are preparing to source material from the US nowadays to sell here. We expect more prices to show up in the upcoming days.”
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- What will October unfold for Turkey’s PE markets?
- PET bottle fails to salve pandemic wounds; challenges mount as autumn begins
- Can LDPE uptrend hold in Asia?
- Europe PVC prices lag behind global markets, upward pressure mounts
- PS, ABS markets take respite from rising streak in China, SEA
- Muted demand in Europe paves way for plenty of PP, PE offers in Turkey
- Import PE uptrend persists in China despite bearish winds mounting in local market
- 3-digit hikes in Oct PVC offers reinforce supply-driven bullishness in Asia
- Crude oil caught between demand woes and production disruption
- Tightness drives European PVC market up, prices near pre-pandemic levels