US PVC expands market share in China and Turkey in Feb
The visible increases in the market share of American PVC were attributed to the fact that during December, Turkish and Chinese PVC buyers received competitive offers from US suppliers who were trying to deplete their stocks ahead of the year-end book closures.
In addition to US sellers’ efforts to diminish their inventories during the last month of 2016, PVC buyers in Turkey were more interested in US cargoes compared to the rest of the year as they were facing a significant tightness from Europe, the top PVC supplier of Turkey.
A Turkish trader commented, “Demand remains weak despite limited supplies from Europe as buyers had secured plentiful American PVC cargos at the end of 2016 and now we feel that they are counting on their stocks given modest end product demand.” Another trader reported that some previously purchased cargos in December and January have just arrived due to some delays, which keep buyers covered for the time being.
To track Turkey’s imports by country, please click here (For members only)
In China, following an upturn in prices that lasted for more than five months, the sentiment shifted around the beginning of December in PVC markets across Asia due to improving supplies from overseas suppliers, especially from the US. In December, a major Taiwanese producer announced its January prices with a $50/ton decrease given the pressure from competitively priced US PVC cargoes.
To track China’s imports by country, please click here (For members only)
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- September hikes meet resistance for ABS in Europe
- Turkey’s import PP market slumps to 3-year low on supply glut, low demand
- Import PVC demand dampened in Europe, Turkey; will it improve in H2?
- Chinese PET producers attempt for hikes first time since July
- Uptrend in spot styrene prices curtailed in Asia
- Spot LDPE, LLDPE prices hit a decade low in Italy
- Saudi major globally applies significant drops on PE for Sept
- Malaysia’s local PE market dives to a decade low
- Homo PP offers below $1000 pervade China’s import market
- PP, PE prices in Mid-East and Africa set to remain weak until end of Q3