US PVC prices falter in global markets
Outages fail to curb export inventories
PVC turnarounds at Shintech and Westlake’s US plants seem to have failed to reduce the export volume availability. This was mostly attributed to the persistently weak demand in global markets as well as the domestic PVC market.
Competitive offers surface in China
Following the Taiwanese producer’s unexpectedly lower offers, American PVC prices moved lower in the China’s import markets and saw a weekly decrease of $50/ton for the week ended March 22, forming the low end of the price ranges. Accordingly, data from ChemOrbis Price Wizard suggests that China’s import PVC market is at a four-month low on average.
US PVC poised to extend losses in Egypt
In Egypt, where the US material is the main supply source for the import PVC market, the weekly average of import PVC prices in Egypt has declined by almost 10% since the start of March.
An agent stated that they were expecting further decreases. Another distributor offering on behalf of a US producer stated, “Supplies are comfortable and sellers are willing to negotiate their offers down.”
Turkish market also feels downward pressure
PVC players in Turkey also agreed that American PVC prices are set to be weighed by lower Asian prices. The weak sentiment for US PVC offers has also been exacerbated by the upcoming elections in the country.
Influx of US material weighs on European markets
In Europe, players reported that there has been an increased number of offers from the US producers and added that the supply availability is currently higher when compared to the first months of 2019.
According to statistics from Global Trade Tracker (GTT) PVC imports from the US to the EU doubled last year. Italy had the largest share of US material, with imports tripling from a year earlier while it was followed by the UK.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Post-holiday hikes carry China homo-PP market to 1-year high
- Asia PVC markets see longest rising streak ever on extreme tightness
- Africa polymers: October offers higher amid reduced availability
- Stable to softer PE trend prevails in Europe amid soft demand, poor netbacks
- Turkey’s PP and PE markets move up, but riddled with uncertainties
- India, SEA PVC markets unlikely to take respite from bullish run for November
- Southeast Asia PET markets move sideways during China’s absence
- Egypt’s import PE market up on tight supply, domestic offers follow suit
- Will European PS, ABS track divergent paths for another month?
- Turkey PP and PE regain premium over China, LDPE fails to make a sprint