US and Asian ethylene markets move in opposite directions
Meanwhile, in line with the opposite directions of ethylene in the two regions, the premium of Asia’s spot market over the US has reached around $855-860/ton, the largest gap since ChemOrbis began keeping records in 2008.
The weekly average data from ChemOrbis Price Wizard suggest that spot ethylene prices on CFR Far East Asia basis have cumulatively climbed by around $80/ton for the past two weeks, cancelling almost half of their total losses recorded in the period between mid-January and late February.
Notable gains have emerged in spot prices on the back of strengthening demand for April cargoes amidst the heavy maintenance season across the region, particularly in Japan. Several Japanese producers including Tosoh and Showa Denko, Mitsubishi Chemical and Keiyo Ethylene are slated to conduct turnarounds at their crackers in the first half of 2018.
In the US, on the other hand, spot ethylene prices on FD USG basis have witnessed a total decrease of $165/ton since late January, on average. According to ChemOrbis Price Wizard, these losses have pushed spot ethylene prices to their lowest levels since July 2017.
Lower prices in the US were attributed to slow buying activities although major producers LyondellBasell and Dow Chemical shut their crackers in Texas for maintenance in early March.
To track the most updated ethylene and PE production news, please see PE Production News (For members only)
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- PVC downturn gains pace in Asia on Taiwanese major’s larger-than expected drop
- Asian spot propylene regains premium over ethylene for first time since 2013
- Import LDPE, LLDPE prices almost back at par with ethylene in China
- Turkish players voice early PP, PE expectations for November
- Thin buying cushions impact of PVC shutdowns across Europe
- China’s PP market makes a strong start to post-holiday period
- Asian ethylene-naphtha spread narrows to 3-year low
- Local PVC markets plunge in India, Southeast Asia
- PE sustains soft path in October across Africa, Mid-East
- Will propylene hike be reflected on European PP?