US housing starts top estimates in February
Construction starts on single-family houses rose to an annualized pace of 882,000 units in February, reaching the highest level seen since November 2007, while housing starts for multi-family units climbed to an annualized pace of 356,000 units in February. Housing starts rose 26.1% in the West while starts dipped 51% in the Northeast.
However, building permits, an indicator of future construction, fell 3.1% to an annualized pace of 1.17 million units in February from around 1.2 million units in the previous month.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Asian spot ethylene market plunges to decade low
- Early July expectations emerge softer in Europe’s PP market
- Import PE prices fall to lowest in more than a decade across Asia
- Tightness pushes Asian PVC markets to 3-month high
- China’s PE market continues bearish run on sluggish demand
- PP and PE markets turn softer in Egypt, Mid-East
- European PET extends bearish trend into 3rd consecutive month
- European PS, ABS markets down after 4 months
- Thai PP, PE markets subdued by slowing economy, competitive imports
- Vietnam’s PE market extends losses into June on frail demand