US retail sales pick up in May
The increase was attributed to a 2% increase in motor vehicle and parts sales in May. However, excluding the increase in auto sales, retail sales rose 1% in May compared to a 0.1% gain in the previous month.
The data also revealed higher sales in service stations, electronics and appliance stores, clothing stores and sporting goods stores as well as increased sales for building materials and garden equipment, with these categories rising 3.7%, 0.1%, 1.5%, 0.8% and 2.1%, respectively. Sales at restaurants and bars also edged up 0.1% in May.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Turkey’s PE market stuck between weak fundamentals and up pressure from China
- Firming PP trend falters in China’s local market
- European players question if bottom is near for PE
- Asian ABS players turn cautious after recent rally
- July PVC dealt lower in Europe, what lies ahead for August?
- China’s Jan-May total polymer imports hit a record of nearly two decades
- India’s local PVC market soars to 6-month high after customs hike
- China’s export PET market faces correction after rising 10% from two-year-low
- Spot propylene moves in opposite directions in Asia and Europe
- European PS hits year-to-date low on July drops