US retail sales pick up in October
The upsurge in retail sales is a sign of a growing US economy and that an interest rate hike could be introduced next month. Rising consumer spending has been the main driver for the growing economy in the last few months although overall economic growth has been sluggish this year
The increase was attributed to rising demand for building materials after Hurricane Matthew. The data also revealed that sales of building materials, furniture and home furnishings, department stores and restaurants posted a slight decrease while car sales rose 1.1% in October following a 1.9% rise in September and spending at service stations went up 2.2% in October.
Meanwhile, the general business conditions index increased 8 points on a monthly basis while new orders and shipments climbed to 8.7 and 9.1, respectively.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- PE rally loses momentum on subsiding demand in Türkiye
- PVC prices flat for 2nd straight month in Italy and West Europe
- Freight rates snap rally, Red Sea crisis keeps decreases in check
- Worsening dollar shortage pushes Egypt’s local PP, PE prices to never-before-seen highs
- Stats: US PE exports hit a renewed record in 2023, sales to China boom
- Türkiye’s PP market continues to grapple with tight supply, prices at multi-month highs
- Margin expansion targets push Italy’s PE film markets to multi-month highs
- LDPE prices rise faster than other PP, PE products in India’s bullish market
- Headwinds await China’s PP, PE markets post-holiday period
- Türkiye’s 2023 imports set a new record at 6.3 million tons; PE, PVC and ABS shine out