Uganda's GDP expands in the 2013/2014 financial year
According to data from the Finance Ministry, following the re-basing of the calculations, Uganda’s GDP figures stood at 68.4 trillion Ugandan shillings ($24.69 billion dollars) for the end of the 2013/2014 financial year. Previous estimates stood at 60.5 trillion Ugandan shillings.
Uganda is following in the steps of other African countries such as Nigeria and Kenya, which have already recalibrated their GDP measurements to capture the output of new sectors like Information Technology and Entertainment. The Ugandan Finance Ministry also changed their base year for GDP calculations to 2009/2010 from 2002.
Finance Minister Maria Kiwanuka commented that the government now had a better understanding of "sectors where investments should be channeled in order to grow the economy and create jobs." Uganda’s GDP per capita now stands at about $700 per year.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Expectations soften for PP raffia, fibre yet to follow in Turkey
- Will PE supplies from China flock to SEA?
- LDPE, LLDPE highest since Q3 2018; HDPE at 6-month high in Europe
- Intensifying trade war adds to bearishness in China’s local PP, PE markets
- PET prices hit multi-month lows in Asia and Europe
- Rising momentum fizzles out in European PS, ABS markets
- European PVC offers to Turkey shrug off higher costs
- Asian PVC players hold firm expectations for June
- May PP, PE offers to Mid-East, Africa remain stable to firm
- Global energy producers report lower Q1 results amid volatile crude prices