Uptrend in spot styrene prices curtailed in Asia
Markets end last week at 4-month high
As of the end of last week, spot styrene prices jumped $70-75/ton from a week earlier to reach their highest levels since May, according to ChemOrbis Price Wizard. Spot prices began to gain momentum early last week, buoyed by the news the US and China trade representative will be meeting in early October. The real boost, however, came from a draw in styrene stocks in China. This coupled with an improvement in the sentiment led to a weekly surge.
Gains in styrene help stabilize PS markets in Asia
Rising spot styrene prices in the region also provided support to downstream markets last week, with PS prices in China and Southeast Asia stabilizing following previous losses. Purchasing activities, meanwhile, remained limited across both regions.
Persistence of trend comes under question
However, markets remained cautious regarding the recent uptrend as several factors continued to threaten a long-term uptrend. The volatility in the Chinese yuan and the lack of sustained strength in demand were among factors that weighed on the trend.
Daily loss puts a dent on long-term upward movement
At the start of this week, spot styrene prices in Asia saw a downward correction, giving credence to concerns that the uptrend may last shorter. The daily loss was attributed to an increase in stockpiles. The volatility in supply and demand dynamics as well as the uncertain direction of crude oil prices still cast a shadow on the near-term outlook of the spot styrene pricing.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Asia PET markets increase marginally on cost support, healthy Chinese demand
- Southeast Asian PVC markets supported by Indian demand
- Gradually returning demand offers glimmer of hope in polymer markets
- What propels PE prices higher in China?
- Vietnam PP, PE markets keep rising but some cautiousness remains
- Spot ethylene markets rally on diminishing supply in Asia, Europe
- Will European PP markets change direction after 3 months?
- Turkish PP, PE players leaving market for holiday with firm post-Eid expectations
- June PVC hikes exceed expectations in Asia, sustainability under discussion
- Import PS, ABS markets recover amid upstream gains in Egypt