Uptrend in spot styrene prices curtailed in Asia
Markets end last week at 4-month high
As of the end of last week, spot styrene prices jumped $70-75/ton from a week earlier to reach their highest levels since May, according to ChemOrbis Price Wizard. Spot prices began to gain momentum early last week, buoyed by the news the US and China trade representative will be meeting in early October. The real boost, however, came from a draw in styrene stocks in China. This coupled with an improvement in the sentiment led to a weekly surge.
Gains in styrene help stabilize PS markets in Asia
Rising spot styrene prices in the region also provided support to downstream markets last week, with PS prices in China and Southeast Asia stabilizing following previous losses. Purchasing activities, meanwhile, remained limited across both regions.
Persistence of trend comes under question
However, markets remained cautious regarding the recent uptrend as several factors continued to threaten a long-term uptrend. The volatility in the Chinese yuan and the lack of sustained strength in demand were among factors that weighed on the trend.
Daily loss puts a dent on long-term upward movement
At the start of this week, spot styrene prices in Asia saw a downward correction, giving credence to concerns that the uptrend may last shorter. The daily loss was attributed to an increase in stockpiles. The volatility in supply and demand dynamics as well as the uncertain direction of crude oil prices still cast a shadow on the near-term outlook of the spot styrene pricing.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Will Saudi cutbacks cause jitters in Europe’s PE market?
- Turkey’s stormy week: Hike attempts emerge after 4 months in PP, PE markets
- PVC markets fail to extend gains to Oct on economic woes, low demand in Asia
- Sentiment cautiously rebounds in Asian PP, PE markets
- Asian monomer markets react after crude oil surge
- September hikes meet resistance for ABS in Europe
- Turkey’s import PP market slumps to 3-year low on supply glut, low demand
- Import PVC demand dampened in Europe, Turkey; will it improve in H2?
- Chinese PET producers attempt for hikes first time since July
- Spot LDPE, LLDPE prices hit a decade low in Italy