Vietnam PP market yet to respond to faltering upturn in China
What do Vietnam PP market owe this month-long firming to?
Good demand for PP applications and low inventories were cited as the main factors pushing Vietnam PP market up for the past one month.
Despite the recent softening in China PP market, hike attempts for homo-PP raffia continued in Vietnam this past week, with sellers applying weekly increases of up to $30/ton.
China’s local PP market shifts direction after three weeks
After remaining on the firm side since late June, China’s local PP market has turned softer mainly due to lower PP futures on the Dalian Commodity Exchange, which lost around 1.5% from July 15 to July 19.
Apart from the lack of support from futures, slightly higher local polyolefin supplies and weaker crude oil futures have also weighed on the PP sentiment in China.
Meanwhile, the upcoming new PP capacities inside China in H2 2019 keep the market outlook under pressure over the medium-term.
China casts cloud over the uptrend in Vietnam PP market
The softening in China PP market and the weakening in crude oil futures have pushed Vietnamese players to question whether the month-long firming trend in the country’s PP market will be sustained during the remaining weeks of July.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- ABS, PS uptrend falters in China after H1 2020 ends at multi-month highs
- Stats: China’s total PP imports spike in May; Vietnam and India’s rising shares shine out
- Tight supply drives HDPE, LLDPE gains in Southeast Asia
- European PE markets set for 2nd bullish month on rising costs
- Turkey’s PP and PE markets propelled to a firm start to H2 despite vulnerable conditions
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?
- US PVC offers in Egypt rise steadily but resistance grows in tandem
- PE buyers’ resistance grows in SEA; duty-free origins more competitive than Mid-East
- Polymer demand cools in Turkey: Is price correction ahead for PP, PE and PVC?