Vietnam PP prices propelled by bullish China market, improved demand outlook
Lower import availability due to scarce arrivals, as well as stronger energy values have also been cited as other drivers of the market.
On top of that, the demand outlook in Vietnam has improved since the second half of September started amid hopes of easing Covid-19 restrictions, also contributing to the weekly gains.
The commercial hub Ho Chi Minh City will start lifting its coronavirus curbs as October kicks off, matching expectations.
Weaker economic data urged easing restrictions
Vietnam’s latest economic data explains why the government leaves the zero-Covid policy behind.
The country is taking steps to revive its economy by allowing more business and social activities although experts worry that it may be too early to do so considering the low vaccination rates in most of Southeast Asia.
According to data from Vietnam’s General Statistics Office (GSO), the country’s gross domestic product fell by 6.17% year-on-year in the third quarter, down from an increase of 6.57% in the second quarter.
PP prices up by around $20-45/ton from last week
The overall range for import homo-PP raffia and injection prices on CIF Vietnam basis has been assessed $20/ton higher from last week at $1200-1290/ton and $1220-1290/ton, respectively.
A few players said, “Import PP offers have firmed up by $20-30/ton on a weekly comparison. The number of import PP offers has remained limited. Meanwhile, we are still facing shipment issues. Freight rates are quite high and it is getting harder to find available ships nowadays.”
As for locals, homo-PP raffia prices were also up by VND300,000-1,000,000/ton ($13-44/ton) from last week to be assessed at VND31,800,000-33,500,000/ton ($1272-1340/ton without VAT) on FD Vietnam, cash basis.
A converter noted, “Local PP prices have slightly increased, following higher import prices. Demand has improved recently due to the expectations that the government will relax the Covid-19 curbs as of October in order to revive the economy which has been under pressure of partial lockdowns.”
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Global PET markets surge on heels of costs, tightness
- SE Asia PP uptrend fueled by China’s strong return
- US PE offers back in the game in global markets
- Egypt’s PP, PE markets rise to 5-month high in October
- Oct PE pricing under discussion amid rising costs, tepid demand in Europe
- Crude at multi-year highs contributes to a perfect storm in polymers
- An enduring challenge: Unprecedented times in PVC markets
- Saudi major opts for firm Oct pricing in both local and export polyolefin markets
- Coal prices hit record highs in China with knock-on effects for PP, PVC markets
- European PP players foresee stability for Oct despite higher propylene