Vietnam’s PE market sees first hike attempts after two months
PE sentiment improves in neighboring China
Rising LLDPE futures amid the positivity around the resolution of China-US trade talks, retreating local polyolefin supplies and strong energy complex have helped the sentiment improve in China’s PE market after a long period of weakness.
This recovery has found a reflection on Vietnam’s PE market, helping suppliers renew confidence.
Sellers attempt for hikes despite ample supply
A few traders reported that their import PE offers to Vietnam have indicated increases of around $10-20/ton when compared to last week. Local PE prices, meanwhile, have been stable to VND500,000/ton ($22/ton) higher recently.
“PE prices are slightly higher this week despite persistently ample availability, which may limit the amount of any further hike attempts,” they opined.
Demand improves under shadow of low season
Despite the low season for PE applications, demand has shown a cautious improvement nowadays. The recovery in China’s PE market and firmer energy costs were cited as factors boosting demand.
However, buyers are taking a dim view about the sustainability of the recent hike attempts.
Crude oil futures remain strong
The fact that crude oil futures have started July on firm footing also supports the sentiment. According to ChemOrbis Price Wizard, August WTI (NYMEX) crude oil futures have been hovering around a five-week high recently.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Vietnam PP market yet to respond to faltering upturn in China
- Turkey’s PE market stuck between weak fundamentals and up pressure from China
- Firming PP trend falters in China’s local market
- European players question if bottom is near for PE
- Asian ABS players turn cautious after recent rally
- July PVC dealt lower in Europe, what lies ahead for August?
- China’s Jan-May total polymer imports hit a record of nearly two decades
- India’s local PVC market soars to 6-month high after customs hike
- China’s export PET market faces correction after rising 10% from two-year-low
- Spot propylene moves in opposite directions in Asia and Europe