Vietnam’s PP market yet to respond to firming trend in China
However, homo-PP prices in Vietnam are unresponsive to the firming in the nearby Chinese market for now mainly due to the ongoing stagnancy of demand. As can be seen in the below graph created by ChemOrbis Price Wizard, the weekly average of Vietnam’s local homo-PP market has been following a mostly stable trend for more than a month.
The sentiment in Vietnam’s import homo-PP market has also remained weak within this period. Parity fluctuations amid the mounting trade tension between China and the US are keeping buyers on the sidelines. Meanwhile, supply concerns over new capacities across Southeast Asia are also weighing on the market. Commercial outputs from new plants of Vietnam’s Nghi Son Refinery and Petrochemicals, Malaysia’s Lotte Chemical Titan and South Korea’s S-Oil have already found their way to the Asian PP markets at mostly competitive levels.
A few converters opined, “PP prices in Vietnam are mostly steady this week despite the firming trend in China’s PP market. We don’t expect to see an upward movement in prices as buyers keep their purchases limited to their urgent needs.”
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Supply constraints spark stronger PE trend than PP in global markets
- ABS, PS uptrend falters in China after H1 2020 ends at multi-month highs
- Stats: China’s total PP imports spike in May; Vietnam and India’s rising shares shine out
- Tight supply drives HDPE, LLDPE gains in Southeast Asia
- European PE markets set for 2nd bullish month on rising costs
- Turkey’s PP and PE markets propelled to a firm start to H2 despite vulnerable conditions
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?
- US PVC offers in Egypt rise steadily but resistance grows in tandem
- PE buyers’ resistance grows in SEA; duty-free origins more competitive than Mid-East