Vietnam’s PP market yet to respond to firming trend in China
However, homo-PP prices in Vietnam are unresponsive to the firming in the nearby Chinese market for now mainly due to the ongoing stagnancy of demand. As can be seen in the below graph created by ChemOrbis Price Wizard, the weekly average of Vietnam’s local homo-PP market has been following a mostly stable trend for more than a month.
The sentiment in Vietnam’s import homo-PP market has also remained weak within this period. Parity fluctuations amid the mounting trade tension between China and the US are keeping buyers on the sidelines. Meanwhile, supply concerns over new capacities across Southeast Asia are also weighing on the market. Commercial outputs from new plants of Vietnam’s Nghi Son Refinery and Petrochemicals, Malaysia’s Lotte Chemical Titan and South Korea’s S-Oil have already found their way to the Asian PP markets at mostly competitive levels.
A few converters opined, “PP prices in Vietnam are mostly steady this week despite the firming trend in China’s PP market. We don’t expect to see an upward movement in prices as buyers keep their purchases limited to their urgent needs.”
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Styrene prices sink to multi-month lows in Asia and Europe
- European PET posts double-digit decreases for October
- PVC downturn gains pace in Asia on Taiwanese major’s larger-than expected drop
- Asian spot propylene regains premium over ethylene for first time since 2013
- Import LDPE, LLDPE prices almost back at par with ethylene in China
- Turkish players voice early PP, PE expectations for November
- Thin buying cushions impact of PVC shutdowns across Europe
- China’s PP market makes a strong start to post-holiday period
- Asian ethylene-naphtha spread narrows to 3-year low
- Local PVC markets plunge in India, Southeast Asia