Vietnam’s homo-PP raffia market remains weak amid lackluster trade
A converter reported, “Local PP prices have added to their slight decreases this week, yet we still find the current offer levels to be too high and limit our purchases according to our urgent needs. Demand towards our end products is currently weighed on by the rainy season while the market will be slower in August because of the Ghost Month.”
Despite the recent depreciation of the Vietnamese dong against the US dollar, local PP prices have continued to lose ground in the face of buyers’ growing resistance. “The PP market increased too much in May. We believe that prices should see further downward adjustments,” a buyer said.
In the import PP market, a few traders commented, “The market is moving quite slowly given the low season while the ongoing exchange rate risks amid the US-China trade war is also weighing on demand. Buyers are placing $20-40/ton lower bids, yet they are not willing to build any extra stocks for the moment, believing that the market has room for further reductions in the near term.”
The recent upturn of PP futures on China’s Dalian Commodity Exchange might lend support to the Vietnamese market, according to some players. “Higher futures might help PP prices maintain their current levels this week, however the near term PP outlook is still weak given muted demand amid comfortable supplies,” a seller opined.
A packaging converter noted, “We prefer to maintain our wait-and-see stance for the moment given the ongoing softening trend. The trade war between China and the US is creating uncertainty for the near term outlook.”
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- China’s PP market set to receive massive capacity additions in 2019
- PS recovery continues in Asia amid slowly rising styrene prices
- Restriction on shopping bags exerts pressure on PE demand in Turkey
- LLDPE moves below €1000/ton in Europe, eyes on awaited US PE cargoes
- Import PVC soars to 4-month high in China, India
- European PET erases hefty gains of 2018, notching 4th month of weakness
- SE Asia PP market likely to remain under pressure amid upcoming capacities
- Saudi major issues drops for January in global PE markets
- PS producers’ January offers defy lower styrene in Europe
- Asian PVC market holds firm prior to Feb announcement