Vietnam’s local homo-PP market retreats further on weak demand
Both sellers and buyers concurred that the downward trend in China exerted pressure on Vietnam’s local homo-PP market, which sank to its lowest levels since around March in line with the latest round of decreases, according to data from ChemOrbis Price Index.
As can be seen in the graph below , homo-PP raffia prices on FD Vietnam basis have failed to sustain a slight firming that was mostly in place during October.
“Both import and local PP prices decreased further given muted demand and high domestic supplies. The downtrend of China is affecting the sentiment in Vietnam. Buyers refrain from making any large-scale purchases believing that prices still have room for further declines,” a trader commented.
In addition to these factors, lower spot propylene prices in Asia also weighed on regional PP markets, some added.
A Vietnamese trader noted that he received almost no inquiries from the local market even after cutting his homo-PP raffia offers further from the previous week.
On the buyers’ side, a woven bag manufacturer opined, “Demand towards our end-products remains weak despite the approaching end of the year. We were expecting our export sales to improve due to the China-US trade war. However, we heard that Chinese bag exporters will be able to run their business with the US. In this case, we aren’t planning to secure any PP cargoes beyond our urgent needs for now. We think that the local PP market might see additional drops in the days ahead.”
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Tight supply drives HDPE, LLDPE gains in Southeast Asia
- European PE markets set for 2nd bullish month on rising costs
- Turkey’s PP and PE markets propelled to a firm start to H2 despite vulnerable conditions
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?
- US PVC offers in Egypt rise steadily but resistance grows in tandem
- PE buyers’ resistance grows in SEA; duty-free origins more competitive than Mid-East
- Polymer demand cools in Turkey: Is price correction ahead for PP, PE and PVC?
- China’s rising PET trend takes a pause, but longer-term outlook remains firm
- Uptrend in China’s import PP market continues but cautious mood returns