Will China’s PE market sustain its upward momentum?
“Prices are up around $20/ton for import cargoes and around CNY100-200/ton ($15-31/ton) for domestic materials. We attribute these hikes to the fact that Sinopec and CNPC are said to be holding low stock levels. Although most sellers are firm on their prices for now, we have not seen any major up-tick in trading activity and we believe that demand will drop off towards the end of the month as players begin to leave their desks for the Chinese New Year holidays,” a trader reported.
Another trader added, “Import prices have risen by around $10-20/ton and most sellers are standing firm on their prices for now. Demand is better when compared with the previous week as some buyers are beginning to stock up ahead of the holidays, although most deals continue to be done for small quantities.”
A distributor offering to the domestic market commented, “Local prices are up around CNY100-200/ton ($15-31/ton) as CNPC and Sinopec claim to be feeling free from inventory pressure. However, we are not seeing any major change in converters’ buying activity and we feel that more attractive prices will become available later in the month once some players begin to step away from the market for the holidays.”
Another distributor stated, “Prices have seen significant increases in the first week of the year, but buyers continue to purchase only in small volumes to cover their needs. There may be some restocking activity in the next week or so as many players are holding low stocks, although trading activity will drop off once again in the second half of the month as players will begin to leave their desks for the Chinese New Year holidays.”
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- PS, ABS markets take respite from rising streak in China, SEA
- Muted demand in Europe paves way for plenty of PP, PE offers in Turkey
- Import PE uptrend persists in China despite bearish winds mounting in local market
- 3-digit hikes in Oct PVC offers reinforce supply-driven bullishness in Asia
- Crude oil caught between demand woes and production disruption
- Tightness drives European PVC market up, prices near pre-pandemic levels
- Major LDPE markets touch multi-year highs on growing tightness
- A prospect for Q4 through uncharted waters of 2020 amid pandemic
- China's import PP markets maintain uptrend under shadow of oil-driven losses in Dalian futures
- Weaker domestic demand prompts Vietnam to export polymers